PDA

View Full Version : Too heavy for 2nd floor??

ickmagnet
01-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I currently have a 135 gallon on the second floor of my home. At the time I bought it, it served my purposes as I wasn't very familiar with saltwater. Now, I am realizing that I should possibly upgrade the tank quality and hopefully the size as well. The only question is, how much more weight can my floor handle? I really don't know much about construction but it is obviously wooden and probably pretty standard stuff. The 135 seems to be doing just fine. I was really really hoping to get a 215 gallon (along with a small sump) that caught my eye. Could this work?

globaldesigns
01-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I currently have a 135 gallon on the second floor of my home. At the time I bought it, it served my purposes as I wasn't very familiar with saltwater. Now, I am realizing that I should possibly upgrade the tank quality and hopefully the size as well. The only question is, how much more weight can my floor handle? I really don't know much about construction but it is obviously wooden and probably pretty standard stuff. The 135 seems to be doing just fine. I was really really hoping to get a 215 gallon (along with a small sump) that caught my eye. Could this work?

Hey there,

I too run a tank on my top floor. Mine is 180G with 105G sump/refuge. I have a customer who is a contractor who said it is probably about 3000 pounds. My tank is on a corner over-top of my garage (bonus room). I didn't need any extra supports as he stated, because this is one of the strongest parts of my house and I have 3-4 floor joises underneath it. I have silent floors so the joises are also glued board with laminated 2X4, supposedly the best.

I don't mind having a support in the garage for it, but he said I didn't need it. After almost 2 years, nothing has changed, no walls cracking, floor buckling and tank is still exactly level as when it was first set up.

The only thing he said I would have to fix if I ever remove the tank is the underlay, he says this type of weight will just turn it into dust over time.

I do believe it will depend on where you put it, wall construction and floor joises underneath.

I hope my tale helps,

Rick

ickmagnet
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for that. You are giving me hope. Mine will be in between two rooms (one side it serves as a window effect) so I'm hoping that there is extra reinforcement between the rooms. Also, the level below has the rooms in the exact same place so there is likely a beam that runs alongside the middle of the tank as well.

naesco
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for that. You are giving me hope. Mine will be in between two rooms (one side it serves as a window effect) so I'm hoping that there is extra reinforcement between the rooms. Also, the level below has the rooms in the exact same place so there is likely a beam that runs alongside the middle of the tank as well.

I don't think it will cost that much to have a contractor take a quick look as every situation is different.
You risk damage to your home and the floor settlement can crack your tank.

ickmagnet
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
That's true. I actually know someone who will probably do it for free. I'll ask him. Just wanted to see if there were other crazies out there like me.

George
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't think it will cost that much to have a contractor take a quick look as every situation is different.
You risk damage to your home and the floor settlement can crack your tank.
I agreed with naesco. Get a contractor or an engineer to look at the house. Remember when things happen to your house because of the tank, you can't really blame the people who give you advice on this board. After all this is a free board and the advice is like that...free.

my2rotties
01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Do you mean the upstairs of the house?

I have a 265g on the main floor of my house with no issues, and have the sump room in the basement below it.