PDA

View Full Version : Help! Whats attacking my clown?

Ross
01-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Help...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmct/4313729127/

Noticed this little hitch hiker catching a ride and a feast on my ora clown.

I fresh water dipped him to get it off of it, but what the heck was it and is it the reason for all the black dots appearing on my otherwise vibrant clown?

I'd imagine that if there is one, there are more. What can i do about this?

Thanks,

Steve-O-
01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
The base of all my clowns are black like that alot worse. I was worried too and did fresh water dips but didn't do anything. I was told later on that its what they can host in as mine host in zoa's and greenstars i guess....

Chowder
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Looks like a parasitic isopod to me.

Chris

naesco
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Help...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmct/4313729127/

Noticed this little hitch hiker catching a ride and a feast on my ora clown.

I fresh water dipped him to get it off of it, but what the heck was it and is it the reason for all the black dots appearing on my otherwise vibrant clown?

I'd imagine that if there is one, there are more. What can i do about this?

Thanks,

Looks like an isopod and you need to remove it now or it will kill the fish, have babies and kill everything in the tank.
Using twizzers carefully tear the isopod of the fish. It will leave holes in the fish. Place the fish in a QT for a few days using neomycin as the anti-bacterial medication. Be very carefull with the measurements and do not use charcoal.
After you place the fish back in your tank observe to make sure there are no other isopods

Ross
01-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Looks like an isopod and you need to remove it now or it will kill the fish, have babies and kill everything in the tank.
Using twizzers carefully tear the isopod of the fish. It will leave holes in the fish. Place the fish in a QT for a few days using neomycin as the anti-bacterial medication. Be very carefull with the measurements and do not use charcoal.
After you place the fish back in your tank observe to make sure there are no other isopods

I freshwater/copper dipped the clown to get the pod off before posting the first message.

Do these pods reproduce only on a host, or do I have to QT the whole tank?
(2 clowns, 2 chromis and a mandarin)

Any info would be of great help!!

naesco
01-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I freshwater/copper dipped the clown to get the pod off before posting the first message.

Do these pods reproduce only on a host, or do I have to QT the whole tank?
(2 clowns, 2 chromis and a mandarin)

Any info would be of great help!!

If the pod is off the fish there will be holes in the fish and that is what you need to consider QTing the fish alone.
You need to observe all the fish for a while to make sure there are no further isopods.
If there are you may have to leave the tank barren of fish for a while and place the fish in a qt.

hillegom
01-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Read this
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/