PDA

View Full Version : Can you help to identify?

cygmark
01-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok so i bought some live rock awhile back and set up my tank, and so on, i found this little crab like the size of a pencil eraser and it was beige with bright orange stripes.

I put him in the tank during cycling and never see him again, fearing after that it could have died, i fed my new fish today and what do you know, he comes out except he's the size of a quarter round, boy's been eating.

So i would post a pick but he runs away when i get close to the tank.
Is it harmful to leave him in there of should i try to remove him?

Josh

christyf5
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I would get him out of there. Especially if he is growing fast.

The Grizz
01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
track it down and yank it out would be your best option.

cygmark
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
hes really quick, any way to lure them out into the open?

tlo
01-30-2010, 02:40 AM
tip a tall glass at a 45 degree angle with some food at the bottom. He'll crawl in to get the food, but it is too slippery for him to get out. I would do this at lights out, when he is more comfortable and when the fish are sleeping and wont steal the bait.

landshark
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Totally agree. I lost about 7-8 fish over an eight month period untill I finally discovered 2 rogue crabs about the size of yours.

cygmark
01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Well i caught him last night and I was talking with ken at blue world yesterday and he said if they don't have red eyes they should be ok, so i found him late last night and scooped him outta the tank took a look at him and no red eyes to be found so i let him go.

When i caught him though, the markings are orange stripes on the leds and brown dots on the back, if this guy is truly a danger then i will catch him again and throw him in my sump.

Give me somemore feed back, all is greatly appericiated.

Thanks
Josh

justinl
01-31-2010, 02:24 AM
general bad crabby signs include but are not limited to (nor are particularly consistent): red eyes, sharp claws, black tipped claws. got pictures?