PDA

View Full Version : Clams under lower light systems?

pocilipora
09-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Does anyone have a clam in a low light system VHO/PC/NO's? If so, what kind is it and how long its been in your system.
Just wanting to know if I could have one under VHO lighting? I was thinking a Derasa... maybe? Thanks in advance.

ganowicki
09-27-2003, 05:58 AM
I have a Squamosa Clam under 3 NO and one 95W PC in my 33gal. It is doing great. lots of color and growth.

ganowicki
09-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Oh yah, I have had it for 5 months

Bartman
09-27-2003, 06:22 AM
Paul's Aquarium in Surrey is selling clams out of a 10 gallon nano with about 26W of what looks like 3000K PC over them. They looked pretty good to me.

ganowicki
09-27-2003, 04:32 PM
isn't that Kelvin temperature pretty low? I thought the light was useless to coral if it was lower than 5500K.

smokinreefer
09-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Paul's Aquarium in Surrey is selling clams out of a 10 gallon nano with about 26W of what looks like 3000K PC over them
if only it were that easy....
unfortunately you cant guage an animals requirments by what you saw at the LFS, simply because, the LFS expects a high turnover, so they don't always keep animals in their required environment.
i'll bet you a clam, that if you bought one of their clams and kept it under a 26W light, it'll die on ya in no time!

that being said, with enough VHO, you can probably keep any clam. and a derasa or squamosa would be a good place to start.

just for an idea on requirements, a guy on RC has maxs and crocs on his sandbed of a 24" deep tank (120G tank), lit by 2 x 150W 6500k MH and VHOs.

so. i'd say you shouldnt have a problem. :mrgreen:

robbyville
09-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Chris, how much VHO and over what size tank are we talking about?

Bartman
09-27-2003, 06:11 PM
isn't that Kelvin temperature pretty low? I thought the light was useless to coral if it was lower than 5500K.

The light looked pretty yellow, Like regular household light, so I'm guessing it was around 3000K.

pocilipora
09-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Chris, how much VHO and over what size tank are we talking about? Ive got three 110Watt Actinics and one overdriven Sylvania Daylight Deluxe. Tank is a 90 gallon 24" tall tank, maybe looks like Ill be trying a Derassa.

robbyville
09-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Yup, I have seen some derasa's under similar lighting when I was researching my own.

It's obviously better if you can centralize the clam under the most intense portion (Can't do with VHO). I'm not really familiar with the other bulb you mentioned but maybe below that as well.

Good luck!

Rob

Stretch
09-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Personanly I wouldn't keep clams under anything less than Metal Halide, But you can get by with VHO and PC if they are placed higher in the tank

Mak
09-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Paul's Aquarium in Surrey is selling clams out of a 10 gallon nano with about 26W of what looks like 3000K PC over them. They looked pretty good to me.

BTW those Clams are/were Crocea's.

pocilipora
09-28-2003, 01:29 AM
Ive done a little research and Ive come to the conclusion that clams are just not going to work for me. A Derassa, out of all clams may survive for a bit, but in order for it to thrive and be around for years I think it and all clams need metal halides.JMO

rayjay
09-28-2003, 11:19 PM
Both mine are under NO lighting and so far so good. The small one has 7 new growth rings visable in about 9 months. The large one I've only had for 6 weeks so far.
Pictures are very poor but will have to do until I can afford something better than a $200 Cnd Kodack.
CLAM PAGE
(http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/clam.html)

Samw
10-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Paul's Aquarium in Surrey is selling clams out of a 10 gallon nano with about 26W of what looks like 3000K PC over them

i'll bet you a clam, that if you bought one of their clams and kept it under a 26W light, it'll die on ya in no time!

I did not have great success with my only Crocea under 200W of PC lighting. While I thought it was doing well and stopped feeding DT's because of that, it eventually died one day after no prior warning. I assumed it was from lack of light. Had I continued to feed DT's, it is not certain if it would have helped extend its life. It survived for 2 months only.

However, I have a Derasa that did OK under PC lighting. It was under 110W of PC lighting for 6 months before I upgraded my lighting.

Samw
10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Both mine are under NO lighting and so far so good. The small one has 7 new growth rings visable in about 9 months. The large one I've only had for 6 weeks so far.
Pictures are very poor but will have to do until I can afford something better than a $200 Cnd Kodack.
CLAM PAGE
(http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/clam.html)

Nice Croceas you got Ray. Wow, 9 months under NO. Pretty good.