PDA

View Full Version : leather corals...

Dez
04-23-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey,

I'm still really new to the hobby.. I have a toadstool that always has amazing polyp extension... and for the last 2 days it hasn't opened. Is this normal? My other 2 toadstools are opened... and this has happened to my star polyps as well.. Is this normal? Do they just close up for a few days then open up again?

Let me know...thanks..

desmond

AJ_77
04-23-2002, 12:49 AM
Des, I'm not sure, but it sounds like they need to be at my house. IMO, etc... ;)

You didn't come down Sunday? Heard anything from Eli?

Alan

Dez
04-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Alan,

I do have 2 toadstool frags that I cut a couple of weeks ago... they are doing well with full polyp extension... I'm just patiently waiting for them to attach... Maybe they will migrate to your house one day ;)

No, never made it to Calgary, my wife had a job interview today and I'm swapped with work..

anyone else know about polyp extension?

desmond

ruck'n'reefer
04-23-2002, 02:11 AM
Occasionally my toadstool does not extend its polyps. Sometimes for a couple days. It also sluffs off a mucus type material. It seems to be healthy. These are just observations, i think this is normal!

Son Of Skyline
04-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Leathers "shed" every once in awhile. When this happens it won't extend its polyps and it will secret a bunch of slime. They basically do this to get rid of dirt and other stuff on its surface.

Dez
04-23-2002, 12:15 PM
What about star polyps?....do they do that once in a while too?

des

DJ88
04-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Dez,

How much research into your corals did you do before filling your tank?

Just curious. You did throw a lot in there in a very short period of time. IMO

Dez
04-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Darren,

Many of the corals were given to me, I have several toadstools and this is the first time this one has done this, the other toadstools are still extended. I've even fragged some toadstools. the Star polyps were given to me by a friend and they've been open all the time, and they decided not to open for a couple of days. While my other star polyps in 2 other places in the tank are always open. Any suggestions? the star polyps were from someone whose had them for quite a while...

desmond

[ 23 April 2002, 10:04: Message edited by: Dez ]

Dez
04-23-2002, 02:32 PM
anyone else?

Delphinus
04-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Um ... no, star polyps don't usually do this unless they're unhappy. It sounds like a possible stress reaction.

My impulse reaction is to suspect that either something could be picking on them, or something in your water chemistry is off.

Check:

Is something picking on them? What are your tankmates? What are the neighbouring corals? Any neighbouring anemones?

Have you tested your water parameters? What are they? (NH4/NO2/NO3/PO4/pH/Alk) Test everything. And don't beleive a good value, test kits can lie. Get your readings confirmed by a distinct test kit if you can...

How often are you doing water changes?

DJ88
04-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Dez,

The reason I was asking is that you have thrown an awful lot of corals in a very very immature tank. You may be seeing the results of this in that your GSP and leather aren't opening. For anywhere from 6 months to a year your tank will go through various phases. Algae blooms, mini cycles etc. With over 4 dozen corals in a very young, smallish tank you are running the risk of one of these mini cycles causing a major meltdown. GSP's don't usually close up unless things are going south or already have gone.

I'd start measuring everything as far as levels go on a continuous basis and watch for spikes signalling a cycle and get ready to do water changes. Be safe rather than sorry. IMO

If you can. lighten the Bioload on your system. ASAP. Take corals back to the LFS, or put some in otehr peoples tanks for a few months.

If just one of those large softies decides to have a meltdown your tanks instability will allow that coral take a whole lot more with it.

At least that is my thoughts on this.

[ 23 April 2002, 14:46: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Dez
04-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys...

I will do some testing right away.. I've had another leather coral that closed up for like 4 days, then I moved him to less current and more light and it opens up all the time now. I'll test the water and try moving the star polyps to where my other GSP's are. I will also move my toadstool to where my other toadstools are....the one that's not opening is pretty close to other corals now and that might be it. very close to the frogspawn and flower pot coral... Thanks...I'll try to keep you updated...

desmond

[ 23 April 2002, 15:20: Message edited by: Dez ]

Dez
04-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Hey guys...

I tested my water yesterday at the LFS and my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are undetectable. My Calcium is at 450ppm. I tried moving the star polyps to an area of less intense light and the polyps opened up later that evening. I did the same with the toadstool and I'm awaiting to see what happens today..

desmond