PDA

View Full Version : Sump light on 24/7?

banditpowdercoat
01-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Is it ok to keep sump light on 24/7? I have a 6000K CF "squiggly" wires direct to my tank's power line so it's on all the time. I know theres benifit at night, because of less PH swing, but is it ok?

freezetyle
01-28-2010, 04:36 AM
do you have any macro algae in your sump? i have heard that keeping some types of calurpa(sp) in constant light can cause it go go sexual and kind of nuke your tank with nutrients. Cheato isn't supposed to do that though

mark
01-28-2010, 04:44 AM
around 2 years 24/7 with Chaeto here

banditpowdercoat
01-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Cheato, but GHA kinda molested it :(

e46er
01-30-2010, 06:52 AM
i run mine on the flipside of my MHs so the sump is lit 18 hrs a day

Ryan
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Doesnt anyone remember grade 9 science class? Plants need darkness to photosynthesis properly, studies have proven this. You want the most out of your macro algea it needs atleast 10hrs of darkness with a 12 on /12 off pattern showing the most photosynthesis in plants.

mark
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
chaeto ball, grapefruit to basketball size in 3 weeks, see no problem with my 24/7

pascalsimpson
01-30-2010, 04:40 PM
plz

nigelgou
01-30-2010, 04:57 PM
just a bunch of stringy old cheato that has grown into a ball shape mine has grown across the rocks but it all does the sam ething

Ryan
01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
chaeto ball, grapefruit to basketball size in 3 weeks, see no problem with my 24/7

I am glad your showing good growth but growth doesnt mean photosynthesis which is what takes out nutrients.

mark
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
I am glad your showing good growth but growth doesnt mean photosynthesis which is what takes out nutrients.

well with a continued increase in mass that I keep throwing the stuff out, I'll assume it's removing something from the water column.

Ryan
01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I refer you to my previous post.

Albertan22
01-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Photosynthesis is acutally a simple equation involving conversion of carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and a carbohydrate. It doesn't really have anything to with nutrient removal. If anything, the processes of cell division and other growth functions would be what's pulling and binding up nutrients from the water.

It's also important to realize that our macroalgaes only bind up nutrients, not use them up. So it's important that we see good growth and harvest/remove some of the biomass from our sumps from time to time or we're actually not accomplishing anything by keeping the stuff alive.

Long story short, if you're seeing good growth keeping the lights on, I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as there isn't any risks with something like Caulerpa going sexual on you and poluting your tank; however, I was always under the impression that keeping the lights on 24/7 was the way to keep Caulerpa from going sexual, not the cause of it.

nlreefguy
01-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Doesnt anyone remember grade 9 science class? Plants need darkness to photosynthesis properly, studies have proven this. You want the most out of your macro algea it needs atleast 10hrs of darkness with a 12 on /12 off pattern showing the most photosynthesis in plants.

To say that nobody remembers grade 9 science class is on the insulting side, man. Sorry to point that out and not trying to be confrontational or anything. However, there is something to what you say about the effect of darkness on photosynthesis efficiency... see the ideas in this link as an example:

http://www.aslo.org/lo/toc/vol_8/issue_3/0338.pdf

Ryan
01-31-2010, 06:33 PM
It wasnt meant to be offensive so step away from the computer, take a breath, and lighten up a little.

nlreefguy
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
It wasnt meant to be offensive so step away from the computer, take a breath, and lighten up a little.

didn't you read the part about not trying to be confrontational??? you might be the one who needs to lighten up... don't ya think? Anyway, sorry to the original poster for getting distracted from the point of the conversation... as you said originally, photosynthesis is much more efficient when there is a period of darkness. Doesn't mean the algae won't continue to grow, it just means that maybe it would grow faster if there was a dark period (and hence extract more nutrients in the process). However, i don't pretend to know everything, and this is just an opinion based on what I've read and learned so far (in grade 9 science class, right? )

titus
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Hello,

Ryan, please be polite.

Titus

Aquattro
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Both of you cut it out.

nlreefguy
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry, won't happen again.

schroeder
02-02-2010, 02:42 AM

Pardon my disagreement...
Photosynthesis is the process plants (and some animals) use to fix carbon used to build the structure of their bodies. During photosynthesis carbon dioxide is consumed, the carbon from the CO2 is fixed to form organic molecules for building the organisms structure, and providing sugars used as metabolites for energy, and oxygen is exhaled.

If photosythesis is not occuring, then there is no carbon fixation, and consequently no growth. Consequently, growth DOES mean photosynthesis is occuring.