PDA

View Full Version : Online ordering

molybdenumman
09-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I live in the interior of BC and as you'd expect we don't have many options for salt water fish here. I have to travel to Vancouver for my purchases. How safe is it to order fish and the like online. I would expect a significant mortality rate. I can't see shelling out big bucks for dead or dying fish. Should I just stomach the cost of going to Vancouver instead?

AJ_77
09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Try J&L aquatics (linked at right) and you will be suprised by the quality - both of livestock and packaging. My $3 chromises came individually packed, triple-bagged, snug as a bug. No issues to report in having them, and many other critters, flown to Calgary. We do it all the time.

I think you might have greater mortality rates driving them back to Kamloops yourself, unless you drive really fast. :biggrin:
Some use a cooler or something like that for longer trips. Frags have even been shipped in Thermos bottles - good for steady temps.

robbyville
09-27-2003, 01:37 AM
I also have not had any problems with ordering and shipping from J&L, you should know (and they will tell you), that they cannot guarantee live arrival at this point since UPS does not insure.

If you do plan on the drive, I regularly go into town, they bag my stock in larger bags filled with lots of oxygen, if I forget to bring one with me I buy one of those nice styrofoam boxes from them for temp control. I have never had a problem with some stock being in the car for over 8 hrs. Of course many people buy online with over 24hrs of wait time so truthfully you should not have any problems as long as the stock is packed well.

Good luck,

Rob