PDA

View Full Version : Anemone

Chase31
01-27-2010, 04:48 AM
well im thinking of getting and Anemone for my aquarium (30G with 5G sump so 35 all together) this will be down the road a ways, but i was just interested,
A Few questions:
how expensive are they to buy?
Are they hard to keep?
Will one fit in my aquarium?
Are they very large?
Whats involved in keeping one?

robert
01-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Start here (http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/38154-anemone-care-can-i-have-one.html). :wink:

well im thinking of getting and Anemone for my aquarium (30G with 5G sump so 35 all together) this will be down the road a ways, but i was just interested,
A Few questions:
Are they hard to keep?
Are they very large?

BlueWorldAquatic
01-27-2010, 05:11 AM
A Few questions:
Are they hard to keep?
Are they very large?

- They are about the same price as a fish, you pay more for size, species and color.
- Anenome's normally last a year or 2 if they are happy, if conditions are not right they can die off fairly quickly.
- I have one in my 10 Gal Tank with my Darwin Clowns.
- Depending on species, they can be 6" to 3'
- Proper Lighting, flow, & feeding (this is another discussion)

Ken - BWA

Chase31
01-27-2010, 05:18 AM
thanks for the help

ponokareefer
01-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I had tried anemones in my old 33 gallon, and if you have corals in there, there is a very good chance they will get stung. Just a word of warning. Ken had some very good points though. They vary a lot. Depending on your lighting, you may want to look at a long tenacle anemone or a sebae anemone, as they both stay on the bottom, and less chance of wandering onto corals that are high up on rocks, and will typically stay away from powerheads in a smaller system as they don't usually go up the rock work/glass. This isn't always the case though.
Bubble tip anemones are typically known as the easiest to keep anemone, but they like to be up in the rock work, and can move around much more than the previous 2 I mentioned.
Another thing to consider if you do get one, you probably don't want it growing really fast in that size of tank, so you will want to limit any type of food it gets, and just let it catch what falls to it, rather than spot feeding the anemone.
What type of lights do you have on the system, do you have sand on the bottom of your tank, what do you have in your tank right now and how long has your system been running?

naesco
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
How long have you had your tank up and running.

Chase31
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
well this is for future reference as my tank doesn't have rocks in it yet, been running the sand for a week now, and currently have not upgraded lighting, so this will be a couple of months or more down the road, not rushing into anything, the entire setup has been a slow pace so why would i rush anything now?