PDA

View Full Version : multiple angelfish in a tank.Will this work?

hqgc
01-27-2010, 03:39 AM
I've been noticeing that alot of people keep more then one angel in there tanks and alot of the online fish retailers advise against keeping more than one.
I would like to put a blueface in with my emperor in my new 180 fowlr.
Risky business??

Chin_Lee
01-27-2010, 03:49 AM
that should be fine. I would add a few more just to make it a happier place for them :)

dsaundry
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
So long as there are places for them to hide{retreat} they will be ok. I was told the same thing and through some events I had to put another angel in my tank as well. They bickered a bit but have set their own spaces up with no problems at all. Just make sure you have lots of rock and all should be fine.:biggrin:

fishoholic
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Depends on what angels. I had a Queen, blueface, bluering, regal, and emperor angels all in a 230g and they all got along great. Added my King angel and needless to say she doesn't get along with any other angels.

Chin_Lee
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I find angels seem to know and accept the hierachy in the tank far quicker than tangs. Tangs will keep bickering and challenging the authority while angels will accept and live peacefully knowing who's boss.

dsaundry
01-29-2010, 12:23 AM
I find angels seem to know and accept the hierachy in the tank far quicker than tangs. Tangs will keep bickering and challenging the authority while angels will accept and live peacefully knowing who's boss.

X2:biggrin: If I remember correctly, I think Tangdaddy had a bunch in his tank.

naesco
01-29-2010, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE=hqgc;486053]I've been noticeing that alot of people keep more then one angel in there tanks and alot of the online fish retailers advise against keeping more than one.
I would like to put a blueface in with my emperor in my new 180 fowlr.

Sorry to have to tell you this but your tank at 180 is simply too small to accommodate one large angel let alone more.

There is an excellent discussion on the needs of angelfish here.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/fish#h3

There is a second article in the following addition which sets out the fish that you can keep with an angel.

Mrfish55
01-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Personally a 180 as big as it is would not be sufficient for adult angels, you could get away with it for a few years with juv, but be prepared for an upgrade, I have multiple large angels in my 750 and the 4" emperor rules the tank, the blue face is one of the more timid so make sure you have hiding places for it.

Raven34
01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
180g is still alot of water for a large angel, a emp angel will not even get close to 16inches in our tanks. If i hear one more story about 18inch Queen angels.....

naesco
01-30-2010, 12:30 AM
180g is still alot of water for a large angel, a emp angel will not even get close to 16inches in our tanks. If i hear one more story about 18inch Queen angels.....

Please read both articles in advanced aquarist.
Thanks

banditpowdercoat
01-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Coral beauty and a Flame angel in my 150g, they get along great

mike31154
01-30-2010, 01:07 AM
I have a Singapore Angel in my system and have often considered trading it for a Flame Angel. I'll be upgrading to a 120 at some point, anyone have experience with these two species in the same tank? I've come to really like the Singapore and wouldn't mind having both.

I also have a Maroon Clownfish pair... wonder if the red colour of the Flame would make the female go ballistic?

marie
01-30-2010, 02:35 AM
I can't comment on multiple large angels but I do have a regal angel, 2 potters and a midnight angel (centropyge nox) in my tank ( all coral eaters by the way) and while they don't get along great there are no nipped fins and they all swim out and about with no fear.

Raven34 after seeing the angels in Mrfish tank, I can say it is possible for an angel to get flippin huge in our aquarium. He has a french angel that could easily feed a family of 4...the 4" emperor angel he mentioned is the baby of the bunch

Ken
02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi my emperor angel is the dominant one against my majestic angel in the 500 gallon, but doesnot show signs of battered fins or stress.