PDA

View Full Version : Dumb picky eater eel!!!!!!!

fishoholic
01-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Can anyone on here tell me the difference between San Francisco Bay Frozen Silversides and H2O Life Individually Quick Frozen Silversides because I sure can't but my dumb eel can :mmph: Apparently H2O life silversides are not good enough for my eel only the San Francisco Bay brand will do :mmph:

Somewhat annoying when silversides are the only thing my eel will eat and I bought 3 bags of the kind he doesn't like, thinking a silverside is a silverside :twised: Good thing my grouper and trigger don't seem to care what brand they are, so at least they wont go to waste.

And thank-you AI for holding the last bag of San Francisco Bay Frozen Silversides you have, so I can pick it up tomorrow.

Leah
01-27-2010, 12:09 AM
:lol: Which one is more expensive, Laurie. Maybe he has expensive taste :wink:

TheKid
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Champagne taste on a beer budget:mrgreen:

Lance
01-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I betcha when it gets hungry enough it won't be so picky.

whatcaneyedo
01-27-2010, 01:02 AM
My snowflake can be like that sometimes as well. One evening he wont want to eat a particular food and the next hes all over it. Keep trying when you feed your other fish and it might come around.

Delphinus
01-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Mine doesn't touch silversides at all, SF Bay or otherwise. I have a bag full that I can't do squat with. Nowadays it's krill or nothing with him. Well, sometimes squid (which was his favourite at first), but he's slow to warm to the eel and meanwhile the rest of the fish are going berserk trying to get at the squid. Seeing a 2" butterfly steal food right out of an eels mouth is not something I would have expected to see.

I suspect this is a case of them being a little bit spoiled.. hopefully it's a good sign of comfort.

es355lucille
01-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Give em a taste Laurie, maybe the eel is right...LOL!! Brad

Can anyone on here tell me the difference between San Francisco Bay Frozen Silversides and H2O Life Individually Quick Frozen Silversides because I sure can't but my dumb eel can :mmph: Apparently H2O life silversides are not good enough for my eel only the San Francisco Bay brand will do :mmph:

Somewhat annoying when silversides are the only thing my eel will eat and I bought 3 bags of the kind he doesn't like, thinking a silverside is a silverside :twised: Good thing my grouper and trigger don't seem to care what brand they are, so at least they wont go to waste.

And thank-you AI for holding the last bag of San Francisco Bay Frozen Silversides you have, so I can pick it up tomorrow.

fishoholic
01-27-2010, 03:16 AM
I suspect this is a case of them being a little bit spoiled.. hopefully it's a good sign of comfort.

What my eel spoiled.....never.........:lol:

fishoholic
01-27-2010, 03:22 AM
:lol: Which one is more expensive, Laurie. Maybe he has expensive taste :wink:

Not really sure, it also depends on the store I buy it from.

I betcha when it gets hungry enough it won't be so picky.

Fat chance of me letting him get hungry enough for that to happen.

My snowflake can be like that sometimes as well. One evening he wont want to eat a particular food and the next hes all over it. Keep trying when you feed your other fish and it might come around.

Weird how that is. He saw my trigger eat the silverside up but he still turned his nose up to it.

fishoholic
01-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Give em a taste Laurie, maybe the eel is right...LOL!! Brad

:pound: Somehow I can't see myself doing that :lol:

Argentiner
01-27-2010, 03:48 AM
How often are you feeding it? I feed my dwarf moray twice a week, and give him half of a full silverside when I do feed. That or a couple full krill. He's never turned down anything and is always out when I feed my fish, looking for food. Maybe I'm not feeding him enough though. lol. He hasn't looked at any of my live fish or cleaner shrimp yet.

Delphinus
01-27-2010, 03:54 AM
FWIW, I thought I read many accounts (I could be wrong and my memory suspect) of people only feeding once or twice per week. My old eel would not eat more than once per week. My current guy, I could feed him like crazy krill after krill (or squid, or mussel, or "Michika's blend" or whatever she calls that food, formula one cubes .. mysis .. etc.) but since December he's slowed right down. I don't even bother trying now except for every other day or unless he lets me know he wants food (he shows up in one of the "feeding spots" - there are 3 areas he'll show up in if he's wanting food. He's actually pretty good at giving me cues. He'll take a krill, if he wants another, he'll be back in the feeding spot within 10 seconds. This gets repeated anywhere from 1 to 4 times. When he's done, he simply doesn't come back.)

fishoholic
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I feed him pretty much every day. Usually once or twice a week he doesn't get fed. I rise off a chunk of frozen silversides and pick through it to find the small ones or I just feed the tail half. Everyday he comes out of where ever he is hiding in the tank and begs me to feed him. I then feed him 2 small pieces. He usually will poke his nose out after eating the second piece and look at me like he's wanting more, but I figure 2 pieces is lots.