PDA

View Full Version : co2 bottle blow out!

monza
09-26-2003, 06:14 AM
An interesting co2 story:

Dropped by a gas supply filling business today to refill my 5lb. bottle of co2 and they had a good laugh at the size of it, said they would fill it for free it was so small.
Went to the back and saw why they laughed, they were filling huge bottles, massive tanks that needed a crane to move in. So they hook mine up he asked the size I said five lbs. he said no it’s ten lbs. So we checked the bottle and he came up with eight and filled it to eight even thou I argued it was five. Left being a bit freaked that the bottle is going to blow up on the drive home.
Drove home installed in the bottle and went back to work.
About three hours later my girl friend phones freaking out saying my co2 tank is exploding all over. I ask, did it explode or is it leaking, she says exploding get home, hangs up!
Drive the five minutes home panicking from what bad results could come from this. Arrive home and the bottle is empty, frozen like ice in its bracket.
So my assumption is the bottle was over filled, when it warmed up from lights and such the co2 expanded blowing out the pressure safety valve on the bottle empting it very quickly freaking out the household.
Yea the girl friend is still ****ed! Luckily no other damage caused.
So watch those bottle pressures.

Dave

Chad
09-26-2003, 07:49 AM
That is scary.. personaly I would go back to the place that did it and do a number on him for just about killing you and your family.. Seriously the results could have been much worse. And they could easily get a fine etc. There has to be some sort of negligence law in regards to this sort of incident. too scary... glad you and your GF are ok..

Chad

Son Of Skyline
09-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Ouch...that is scary! Glad everyone/everything's ok. I would have taken the exploded bottle right back to the place and shoved it in the guy's face. That guy messed with your safety.

Have you talked to them yet? I'd like to know what they have to say.

kuatto
09-26-2003, 03:33 PM
glsd to hear nobody was hurt(hope your tank is ok.)just called a co2filling plant and he said they've blown tanks with just 1 pound over and if they did put 8 in a 5 pnd bottle u where lucky it didnt blow in the car.you said you got it filled for free,might be a prob proving they overfilled.He said if you had some way of proving they overfilled you could go after them.

Delphinus
09-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Dave I hate to ask this but maybe we should know. What store was this? It sounds like a place not really appropriate for us reefers to fill up our wee little cylinders at, since they obviously are focused more on those monster industrial ones instead. I agree that without some kind of paper trail going after them might be a challenge. What I would do, is, call them up, tell the guy "it WAS a 5lb cylinder after all."

I think the place I went to for filling up my 20lb was Sprouse and they had it ready next day and I think it was approximately $25-30. I'd go back there in a pinch when my cylinder needs a refill.

smokinreefer
09-27-2003, 05:24 PM
you are soooo lucky.
very glad to hear everyone is OK.

i dont know what good bitichin at that guy would do, but i sure would want to give that guy a piece of my mind. i mean, the guy basically gave you a bomb to bring home.

again, the main thing is that everyone is OK.

Buccaneer
09-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Lucky it did not go off in the car on the way home too :eek:

Tony ... I used Sprouse as well on 9 ave S.E. and the price was about the same ... played 18 holes and it was still frozen in my trunk :cool:

Cheers

monza
09-30-2003, 05:48 AM
The place that filled the bottle was BOC Gases. 4610 80th Ave. SE Calgary, but actually a couple blocks behind there at there filling plant. (sorry don't know the exact address for the plant)

No, I didn't go back and bitch at them because I didn't pay for the fill. Would have been another story if I had paid and had a receipt.

Luckily it was the safety preasure release that blew out not the bottle!

My usual place for refilling is Oxypro I was just trying some where new because Oxypro has this bottle exchange system I was trying to avoid. They charge $30.00.

Dave