PDA

View Full Version : hammer feeding

Aquaria
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
anyone have problems feeding their hammer corals, mine wont take anything for the life of me and other then drowning it in food idk what to do. i know i dont have to feed em but was just wondering....also i have tried getting food next to the mouth but to no avail still wont eat it as it just floats away after time. seems like his tenticals are sticky just not when it touches shrimp lol mabey he eats veggies lol j/k he seems to be doing fine though so idk should i just give up??

bauder1986
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
well what i have to do sometimes is wait till night time when the lights are out and the tenticles receed leaving the mouth exposed. but if the mouth doesnt expose itself then direct feed a small amount of phyto as close and direct to the mouth as possible, you should see the hammer heads close up and then they should open up again leaving the mouth exposed for shrimp/mysis feeding. hope this helps

josh

chris88
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
lps do not eat phyto. Most hammers, torchers, and frogspawns do not eat readily. The will grab they food but rarely take it all the way in. I would not worry about it feeding them directly.

Bloodasp
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't even bother feeding mine. Actually I don't even spot feed any corals. I can see most of them just grab food during feeding time. Just as long as they look healthy they would be fine. Nobody spot feeds this guys in the wild. And just because you can't see them feed doesn't mean they don't. They do eat microscopic algae and all those stuff.

untamed
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I've never fed my hammer coral deliberately...and it has been thriving for over 12 years now. Had it not been fragged many, many times it would likely be the size of an exercise ball by now.

fencer
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
They do respond to coral frenzy

Lance
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Have never fed my Hammer.

Lance
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Have never fed my Hammer.

And you never mind Brett!

Aquaria
01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
is coral frenzy like marine snow? and he looks healthy so i dont worry was just curious cuz all my other lps readliy take all meaty food :P

bauder1986
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I've never fed my hammer coral deliberately...and it has been thriving for over 12 years now. Had it not been fragged many, many times it would likely be the size of an exercise ball by now.

Well if you had directly fed it over the last twelve years and had you not fragged it, it would be the size of a wrecking ball......just a titch bigger.

Yah when i direct feed my frogspawn on a schedule i see continuios fast growth. Faster growth than when i dont feed it and just let the damn thing absorb everything from the water.

Aquaria
01-27-2010, 12:34 AM
All my coral are frags so growing fast is what i want but if my hammer wont eat then i cant force him so w/e mabey ill try coral frenzy see if he responds to that i dont notice him responding to marine snow

Aquattro
01-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Mine eats PE mysis anytime I feed it. Which has been twice in the last year...