PDA

View Full Version : best parms for soft corals

lobsterboy
01-26-2010, 04:49 AM
hey everyone,

its been awhile since keepin soft corals, and i am starting up a new 160g, all softies.

whats the best parms to keep em at?

Chase31
01-26-2010, 05:30 AM
jumping on this one!

lobsterboy
01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
so the low down on this is, at my work we have or should i say had, a lobster tank there, and it was tottaly hard to keep up, with lobsters going in, out, and so on. so the tank got broken down, i cleaned it and gave it some love.

i took some pics of before and after, and will post them when i have a minute.

the marine apprentice
01-26-2010, 05:41 AM
thats gonna be cool john. nice big softie tank. how long is it gonna take before you have it full of sps?? haha

Delphinus
01-26-2010, 06:17 AM
For the most part, same as say an SPS tank, ie., ideal params are ideal params (softeys need alk to grow too) but the depletion rates might be be different (ie., less). :)

lobsterboy
01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
thanks Tony,

i will get those pics together tomorrow, and start up a proper tank journal.

the tank is going to be softies only, it will be hard not to put a frag or two in there of SPS, but i am going to try and stick to it.

JDigital
01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Sweet news John! Kinda funny that your softie tank is gonna be bigger than your SPS tank! :lol:

What are the dimensions of the tank? or do we have to wait till the tank journal starts?

lobsterboy
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
yeah, i am super stoked, because i really like the movement of soft corals, and yeah its bigger than my sps tank, ahaha.

i missed placed the sd card that had the pics on it, so once i find it, i a, going to get a thread going, it wont be long.

the marine apprentice
01-26-2010, 08:51 PM
right on john yeah the soft corals are pretty cool for movement and they growth is pretty cool to watch too. i am really looking forward to this build.

lobsterboy
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
yeah, i cant wait either, hope it moves fast. haha.

parkinsn
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Did you move John? Where on earth did you find the space for this tank? Im excited to see this tank progress.

Ahhh its at your work, never mind.

i have crabs
01-26-2010, 11:27 PM
if algae stays under control dont bother with a skimmer, other than that keep things the same,

lobsterboy
01-27-2010, 06:52 AM
thanks for the intrest in this tank reefers.

i did start a tank journal tonight, and this thread can be closed or removed,

he is the new link for the thread.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=486104#post486104

ponokareefer
01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
As Tony had mentioned, same parameters as your SPS tank should do the trick. They are a much more forgiving coral though. A little nitrate usually isn't the end of the world. Flow and lighting haven't been an issue with my systems ever. My old super large leather that was originally in my 33 gallon started out with very low light and flow, and then was in my 125 gallon with higher direct flow and directly under my MH, and it did very well in both circumstances. The only softie that I ever had an issue with is the harder-to-keep yellow leather.