PDA

View Full Version : Pest Nudibranchs

turkleton
01-25-2010, 01:34 AM
I recently discovered some nudibranchs devouring my Xenia. The Xenia is a small, bushy non-pulsing variety, and the nudibranchs are well camouflaged against the coral. I was wondering if anyone has experenced this before, and what can be done to remove or kill the nudibranchs before they completely destroy my Xenia.

purplepolypeater
01-25-2010, 01:56 AM
i bet some people would buy them from you.:wink:

kimax
01-29-2010, 03:55 AM
I hope you were able to solve your problem, pests are no fun. :sad:

I love your jawfish pic by the way!

Fishward
01-29-2010, 03:57 AM
i bet some people would buy them from you.:wink:

what else do they eat other than xenia?

purplepolypeater
01-29-2010, 01:37 PM
most nudis only target a single species food source and then die off when source is gone but i could not guarantee that. i had too much pulsing xenia and i got a tiger cowry no more xenia now i just need to find something that eats my kenya tree coral.

kien
01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
They also like to eat Zoanthids. At least the variety I had ate my zoanthids. Then they would take on the zooxanthellae colour of the zoanthid and be camouflage. When I see them I take a turkey baster and suck them up one at a time. I have also witnessed my wrasses (leopard and sixline) pick them off when they can find them. I used to have it pretty bad but haven't seen one in a while.

K.

Ian
01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
If you have room a melanurus wrasse might be the solution to your problem they are great reef safe fish, I love mine.

Zoaelite
01-30-2010, 02:06 AM
+1 Canary wrasses also make excellent nudi hunters.
Levi

They also like to eat Zoanthids. At least the variety I had ate my zoanthids. Then they would take on the zooxanthellae colour of the zoanthid and be camouflage. When I see them I take a turkey baster and suck them up one at a time. I have also witnessed my wrasses (leopard and sixline) pick them off when they can find them. I used to have it pretty bad but haven't seen one in a while.

K.

turkleton
01-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks alot everyone this helps alot.