PDA

View Full Version : Current tap water TDS readings of BC

Megalodon
09-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Does anybody know the TDS of Surrey-Delta's tap water at the moment?

Has anyone ever tested the RO/carbon/UV water we can get in bottles from Save on Foods or Safeway? Anyone have any experience with it at all?

I know as of a year and a half ago, according to at least one person, our tap water was about 14. That's good, because in America it's considered good when it comes out at 150. Do your RO/DI units last longer?

What does everyone else's tap water read at?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zulu_principle
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
im in ladner/tilbury and its 14.

Wendell

cowfish
09-26-2003, 10:43 PM
the RO water at Save On Foods (Ironwood in Richmond) is 3 ppm.
Vancouver water is around 14ppm, but is said to be very high in silth.

Veng68
09-26-2003, 11:08 PM
If you just use the tapwater purifier you get around 300 gallons of purified water before you have to recharge the resins.

Cheers,
Victor Veng68

robbyville
09-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Surprisingly Whistler comes in at almost 30ppm, mind you since most of our water is glacial fed perhaps it does not go through the cleaning that some cities use.

My resins seem to last for over 9 months, most recently I changed them when water started to read close to 12ppm

Rob

Samw
09-28-2003, 08:21 AM
I used to get 8 on my TDS meter from tapwater. I recalibrated in Feb and now I get 2. My RO water is 0.

Megalodon
09-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Wow, tap water in Vancouver is 2?

robbyville
10-23-2003, 01:24 AM
Just decided to have fun and measure the TDS in Whistler with all the rain going on. Tap water came in at about 70ppm!

Hey anyone know how a TDS meter loses calibration? Maybe that's my problem!

Rob

Veng68
10-23-2003, 01:57 AM
with all the rain the TDS may have risen. Our water down here has a noticably yellow/light brown hue after the heavy rain.

Cheers,
Victor Veng68

Bryan
10-23-2003, 02:49 AM
Which is why I always wondered why reefkeepers in the Lower Mainland even bother with RO filter equipment. DI is the way to go.

If you just use the tapwater purifier you get around 300 gallons of purified water before you have to recharge the resins.

Cheers,
Victor Veng68

EmilyB
10-23-2003, 05:20 AM
That is so unbelievable. TDS tap here is 148 or so.

:eek:

zulu_principle
10-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Bryan

Thats what I use, just DI.

Wendell

Chad
10-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Its 15 here in Surrey... I think I need to change he filters tho, cuz after making my RO/DI it still 1.. usualy its 0...

Chad

LostMind
10-23-2003, 10:14 AM
my filters have to be replaced monthly it seems. I have had the ro/di unit for 4 months, going to buy a new set (my fourth) very soon, as my PSI in the unit is down to 20...

usually it runs at 45 or higher.

erikages
01-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Just installed my first ro/di unit (Reefmaster from the US). 5-stage. Seems to be working well -- although I wasn't aware that ro/di systems employ runoff (roughly 3 to 1 ratio of waste water to filtered water!). Seems like a terrible waste of water!

Anyway, my new (calibrated) TDS meter is reading 12ppm in James Bay, Victoria.

Does this sound about right? Relatively speaking, is this clean or dirty?

mark
01-09-2008, 05:10 AM
The waste water is a negative enough that people talk about capturing it to wash clothes, water the grass etc but I can't see going through the effort, guess I'm not green.

The output should be near zero or at least low single digits (mine was 2 last checked) once everything flushed.

fkshiu
01-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Which is why I always wondered why reefkeepers in the Lower Mainland even bother with RO filter equipment. DI is the way to go.

Just in case there's a blip in water quality. DI alone can't deal with the turbidity you get after rainstorms (or when a crew is mucking about near your home), not to mention the extra chlorine the city dumps in during such times.

nanoreefer
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
how mutch is a TDS meter? is there some ware i could bring a water sample to and have it tested? iam on a well in agassiz(near harison hot springs)and iam realy whanting to know sence iam planning on useing tap water for my FOWLR tank soon, dos it realy matter sence it would FOWLR? RO/DI just seems so expensive and confusing.

banditpowdercoat
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
how mutch is a TDS meter? is there some ware i could bring a water sample to and have it tested? iam on a well in agassiz(near harison hot springs)and iam realy whanting to know sence iam planning on useing tap water for my FOWLR tank soon, dos it realy matter sence it would FOWLR? RO/DI just seems so expensive and confusing.

I got my TDS from ebay cheap $20 from this guy. Has temperature probe on it too, great fro checking the water before adding
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170161589350

And RO/Di isnt confusing or expensive. I got my 50gpd Kent 4 stage RO/DI form ebay as well. $50 I would use RO/DI for a Fowler. I am going to. I use it fro my Freshwater tank as well. You know for sure that your removing all the bad stuff when using RO/DI. I am also on a well. My water is really hard from the well. 600-700PPM out of the tap. With the RO/DI(which is used, needs new filters) I am getting 10PPM water. Much softer

nanoreefer
01-10-2008, 09:08 AM
thanks banditpowdercoat i dident know they were that cheap i think i will get one for sure, how mutch did shipping and brokage cost you if you dont mind me asking? and do you know if those hanna PH meters for $23 are any good if i order a TDS might as well get one of them too so i know my PH for sure

andresont
01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
11 PPM right now in Port Moody.
I use Aqua FX Inline TDS Meter (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ro-aftdsi) $43 @ J&L

banditpowdercoat
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
thanks banditpowdercoat i dident know they were that cheap i think i will get one for sure, how mutch did shipping and brokage cost you if you dont mind me asking? and do you know if those hanna PH meters for $23 are any good if i order a TDS might as well get one of them too so i know my PH for sure
Shipping was $10.50. No brokerage, came in mail :D
never saw the PH meter. Think I am going to have to make another order

WuHT
01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Newbie Question :

Will TDS ratings be the same for TAP and TUB water ?

dsaundry
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I got both the tds and a ph meter off ebay..have checked them against my test kit and they seem to work pretty good. Mind you I still double check occassionally to make sure thay are still accurate. So far so good. Got my refractometer as well..best buy I made in a long time. Checks salinity quickly and is accurate.Ebays ok for some things:biggrin: