PDA

View Full Version : Free Fish food Treats

bvlester
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Well took the kids out to the family fun day ice fishing day. Alot fo the trout have eggs so they will be fish treats I think they will love them must freeze first but other than that they should be good to go. what do you think?

Bill

christyf5
01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
They're oily so watch how much you feed.

Zoaelite
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Should be nice and nutrient packed but like Christy said you will get a mini oil slick on the water surface. Same thing happened to me yesterday when I defrosted a couple silver sides and had one of there stomachs pop open in the tank.

bvlester
01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I can cut the oil down a bit by rinsing in cold fresh water just before freeding and by not adding to much. you get oils from alot for the frozen foods and home made foods. so I would say not much different than that It will only be the fish eggs as the rest of the gut can contain parisites and other pathagins. don't want that when frozen all bugs should be killed off but may not be. Eggs sacs are independent from the gut sac it would be hard for a pathagin or anything else to cross over. I use to feed salmon eggs my fish when I lived in Kamloops 20+ years ago and it was ok just not to many at a time and only once a week as Christy said watch how much I feed. My tanks have tons of surface movment so not top worried about a little oil.

Bill

christyf5
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
No the oil isn't on the outside of the egg, its inside it. Pathogens can cross over via eggs but likely with it being saltwater and at a higher temperature its nothing to worry about.

bvlester
01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes the inside of the egg does have oil but the egg sac is loaded with oils and if that or most of that is removed it will make a huge difference.

Bill

bvlester
01-25-2010, 02:31 AM
well just fed afew eggs to the tanks OMG did the clown fish go nuts over them, my pygmy angle and dotty back ate a couple each. My kids dansels ate quite a few each small tank about 13 eggs main tank about 20 eggs shrimp love them also..Eggs are pacted full of protien and vitamins also esential amino acids. The clowns are fat pigs.

Bill