PDA

View Full Version : Magensium chloride/sulfate ratio in 2 part solution

kaboom
01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
I am a little confused as to what the ratio of magnesium chloride to magnesium sulfate should be when using in combination with a two part solution additives. I've seen numbers such as 7:1 from Chemmaster and 5:3 from Bulk Reef Supply. Is there a correct ratio and why is there such a dicrepancy between the two?

fishytime
01-24-2010, 04:44 AM
This is the site I trust http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#6

kaboom
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks but that's not useful to me as I am not using Epson salt or Dead Sea Works' products. I plan on using magnesium from Chemmaster or BRS. Does anyone know why the ratios are so different when both companies are using the same compounds? Please refer to Chloride/Sulfate and not a generic brand from some compay.

littlesilvermax
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate, and Magnesium Chloride is the same as the stuff from the Dead Sea Works company.

Everyone uses the same stuff, just some places have different purity levels.

As far as the ratio is concerned I don't think it is a big deal. Different salts have different sulfate levels. If your salt has high sulfates, then use less or no Epsom salts, if it has low sulfates (IO used to be that way IIRC) then use more.

So long as you don't only use Mag Sulfate I really think you are just fine. If you just used Magnesium Chloride I think you would be fine as well.

kaboom
01-25-2010, 01:32 AM
As far as the ratio is concerned I don't think it is a big deal. Different salts have different sulfate levels. If your salt has high sulfates, then use less or no Epsom salts, if it has low sulfates (IO used to be that way IIRC) then use more.

So long as you don't only use Mag Sulfate I really think you are just fine. If you just used Magnesium Chloride I think you would be fine as well.

Hmm, I think the ratio of chloride/sulfate is important in striving to achieve long term sucess. We try our best to match natural seawater and in doing so the particular quantity of these elements are critical. From what I understand, if magnesium is used to boost levels, or used with a calcium reactor, or Kalwasser (not in conjunction with 2 part additive) , then a ratio of 7:1 desire. If magnesium is used in conjunction with a 2 part additive (calcium chloride / sodium bicarbonate) then a ratio of 5:3 is desire. That is because in the 2 part additive, calcium chloride is already contributing much of the chloride, hence less chloride is required from the magnesium chloride/sulfate mix. I hope that makes sense. Correct me if I am wrong littlesilvermax, i just want to be certain before making the order.

littlesilvermax
01-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Hmm, I think the ratio of chloride/sulfate is important in striving to achieve long term sucess. We try our best to match natural seawater and in doing so the particular quantity of these elements are critical. From what I understand, if magnesium is used to boost levels, or used with a calcium reactor, or Kalwasser (not in conjunction with 2 part additive) , then a ratio of 7:1 desire. If magnesium is used in conjunction with a 2 part additive (calcium chloride / sodium bicarbonate) then a ratio of 5:3 is desire. That is because in the 2 part additive, calcium chloride is already contributing much of the chloride, hence less chloride is required from the magnesium chloride/sulfate mix. I hope that makes sense. Correct me if I am wrong littlesilvermax, i just want to be certain before making the order.

I don't disagree with you.

I just (personally) think there are about 50 other things of more importance (30 of which we don't do, 10 of which we don't know yet).

That being said, why not do the best we can with what we know?

To know what you should use, you should ideally test your water for sulfates.

Then you should test your salt. Then your water change schedule, and your dosing (how much calcium chloride do you add, how much kalk do you use......) schedule needs to be examined.

All said and done I don't think even the chemists in the industy know the ideal answer.

I will gladly sell them separately, and do on occasion.:wink: