PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mower Blennie

Douglas
01-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I've had a Lawn mower blennie in my tank for a while, He's been grazing ever since i got him. But there is very little algea in my display. Can't seem to get him to eat anything, Any suggestions? He's looking thinner by the day, and i'd hate to loose him. Doug

mike31154
01-23-2010, 04:09 PM
In my experience they seem to prefer film algae growing on the glass, rockwork or any other surface of your system including powerheads. Of the 3 LBs I've had, only one took any other type of food. He'd eat flake etc. along with the other fish in the system. The two others, including the one I have now did/do not take anything else. None of the ones I've had ever took nori, although I've read threads with folks saying theirs would. I keep the back of tank uncleaned to allow growth of more 'stuff' in order to ensure he and my two mandarins have additional grazing opportunities. What size is your tank? My 77 seems to be able to support the LB fairly easily. The current guy does occasionally go thin for a day or so, but quickly fattens up again after these 'fasting' episodes.

Douglas
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
My display is 72gal, lots of rock. I'll try to cut back on my algea cleaning in certain sections, to try to supply him with some grazing areas. Thanks

mws
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Same here, mine wouldn't take any food. I had algae in a tank, but it wasted away. Got really thin, stomach pinched and it was gone.:cry:

blueyota
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Mine wouldnt eat anything i put in for the the other tankmates until i got tangs and started feeding nori now he follows me around the tank thinking im gona feed him all the time and he eats everything i put in there .. try nori if you havent yet

mark
01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
mine sure leaves the lip marks on the glass but when I feed the tank he goes after the small pellets (New Life Spectrum 1mm)

PoonTang
01-23-2010, 10:58 PM
All of mine have always eaten nori. You could try one of my nori feeders ;)

Coleus
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
hmm mine is a big fat one. He grazes on rocks all day and also eat pellet that i feed to other fish. Beginning, I have to feed pellets near him so he knows it is food. Good luck

Dyspnea
01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
All of mine have always eaten nori. You could try one of my nori feeders ;)

same here mine would always eat nori as well, wounldn't touch anything else

dsaundry
01-27-2010, 02:38 AM
All mine seem to eat everything, mysis, pellets, nori..they are both fat and one is in a 15g and doing great., Wife calls him Jean Luc, I call him Fat Bastard.:lol: