PDA

View Full Version : Dinoflagnet problem

patpare
01-23-2010, 02:16 AM
How the Hell do i get ride of this stuff:microwav:.I have cleaned every piece of liverock out of the main tank,cleaned everything in the tank(powerheads ect.),changed salt from I.O to R.B.S,all my levels are in check.
Please any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated,before all my S.P.S die:morning:

Gools
01-23-2010, 03:25 AM
I feel your pain, I lost all my corals, clean up crew, shrimp, and a couple fish. It lasted well over a year and a half. Nothing I could do but ride out the storm. Best advise I can give is setup a new tank and move all your corals. As long as your sure it's dinoflaglettes.

mseepman
01-23-2010, 04:00 AM
I've been researching this stuff quite a bit and it seems that people have had a fair amount of luck with raising their PH to about 8.6 which seems to help it die down quite significantly.

Amazingly enough, some evidence points to the tank being too nutrient free which lets the dino's take over from other bacteria.

burgerchow
01-23-2010, 06:58 AM
you need to raise magnesium and do total ( and I mean complete) blackout of the tank for 3 or 4 days. That's how I got rid of my dinos.

ScubaSteve
01-23-2010, 07:29 AM
There's a few ways to do it. Total balck out is one way, pH is another... just keep in mind that what ever you do is going to stess your live stock (blackout will stress the s*** out of SPS). Start with the less stressful and work your way up. Maybe start fresh or move your coral to a temporary tank while you battle dinoflaglettes like Mothra versus Godzilla so that your nice SPS don't get caught in the crossfire.

I know it's not a common method, but what helped me get right of mine was LOW aeration and, of all things, iodine. It seemed whenever I dosed a little bit with iodine the stuff would die back. Now, I'm not saying dump a whole ton of iodine in there. I'm just saying that's what I saw. I found from experience and from other people's observations that high aeration (ie. high CO2) promotes dino growth. Make sure your water level is right and that your pump, filter, whatever isn't dragging a ton of bubbles into the water.