PDA

View Full Version : Switched from 400W to 250W halides...coooool. How do you break in new 250s?

Reefer Rob
01-22-2010, 03:26 AM
I mean way cooler. It looks like my chiller is only going to run in the summer now.

3 years of running 400W halides... 3 years of wondering why anyone would use halides instead of T5s.

I hope my corals like the 250s as much as I do:smokin:

Now with 400s I had to be real careful breaking in new bulbs, or I'd cook my corals (acros too). I'd start off with 6 hours for the first week, and slowly work up. Raising the lights isn't an option.

How much does everyone cut back (if at all) their 250W halides with new bulbs?

bvlester
01-22-2010, 04:18 AM
I would suspect the same way I don't use MH but I have looked into some a couple of times. We will see how deep this new tank is IT's a 110g getting it used, I have only seen it once awhile back don't realy recall how deep it is. I'm going to tag along just incase.

Bill

StirCrazy
01-22-2010, 04:32 AM
I never cut back at all when switching bulbs, but if your not sure you could da shorter time, or on/off routeen. its not to break in your bulbs but rather to get your corals used to the new lights.

Steve

whatcaneyedo
01-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Glad to hear you finally came around Rob. Its easier for me to raise my lights so I'll generally hoist them up a foot and then gradually lower them an inch every other day until they are back to where they were.