PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker ID

SmallFry
01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi All,

Firstly, sorry I don't have a photo, but it's relatively dark in the tank (photographically speaking) and these things only really expand in the dark.. I also have a bowfront which doesn't help much either..

I have a few (like 5 or less as far as I can tell) of what look like small anemones on two bits of my live rock, they don't look like aptasia as far as I can tell. They have a pink base and thin translucent/clear tentacles each with a white blob on the end. At their biggest I'd say they are about 1/8" to 3/16" across at the base and maybe up to 1/2" or a little more across at the tentacle end.

They aren't spreading much as far as I can see, they seem to be confined to the two pieces of rock I bought to seed the tank about a year ago so I hadn't been worrying about them. Now I've found one at the other end of the tank so I'm beginning to wonder..

Anyone got any ideas what they are and if they are good or bad? Should I give them a shot of boiling water to be on the safe side or let them be?

I realise it's not a lot to go on, I'll do my best to get a photo..

Thanks,
Rob.

freezetyle
01-22-2010, 12:43 AM
http://www.acquaportal.it/articoli/marino/biologia/commensali/images/_maiano.jpg
Mojano Anemone?

noirsphynx
01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Sounds like orange ball anemones. I have many in my reef and never had a problem. I know over on NR some people collect them. Search orange ball anemone and you should find lots of info and pics.

SmallFry
01-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Sounds like orange ball anemones. I have many in my reef and never had a problem. I know over on NR some people collect them. Search orange ball anemone and you should find lots of info and pics.

Thanks, that looks just like them.. Will investigate further now I know what they are.