PDA

View Full Version : 100+ Red Mangrove Pods GROUP ORDER

Zoaelite
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I just ordered 100 Red Mangroves pods for my system for Nitrate reduction but I highly doubt 100 will fit in my fuge. Shipping to Canada is what really costs the money but if its like my last shipment they should be here in 2 weeks to a month.
Looking for $6.00 each or 5 for $25.00 or 10 for $40.00 for appx arrival of mid Feb.

****Update Feb.02/ 2010****
I have the first batch due to arrive within the next 2-7 days but we will see how customs goes. I will keep everyone updated as to an arrival date, I decided to do it in multiple groups of 100 just encase we run into any problems.

This is what I have everyone for right now, I apologize if I mess any of this up I have been stupid busy lately.
Blueyoda-5
Seamazter-10
Xtreme-5
Mytank90-5
Pmantis-5
Kryptic4L-5
Nanmer-10
CouchRugby2-10
Chowder-20
Ottoman-10
Keana-10
Bkelly-10
Funkyfish-5
Abreefkpr-5
Marlin65-10
DCDN-5
Eb0la11-5

Again, If I missed anyone please let me know through a PM. I should have the remaining batch sent within the month also so if anyone else needs some still let me know,
Thank you!
Levi

blueyota
01-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I will take 5

Seamazter
01-21-2010, 11:16 PM
I will take 5 too.

xtreme
01-21-2010, 11:25 PM
5 for me please.

mytank90
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
i would like 5 to please

ottoman
01-22-2010, 12:19 AM
will you ship to Vancouver?

P_mantis
01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
i am down for 5

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
These are 4 months old, consider all that new growth fish poop and bad nitrates :lol:. Tank Spill, a 23w CF and daylight grows them pretty fast.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2527/p1000203c.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000203c.jpg)

Kryptic4L
01-22-2010, 01:14 AM
I would like 5, and would like to ask xtreme to grab me 5 if they show up while im on vacation.

nanmer
01-22-2010, 01:24 AM
If you have enough, I would like 5 too please!

Keana
01-22-2010, 01:55 AM
If any are headed Vancouver way I would take 5 or more.

BYe, kean
will you ship to Vancouver?

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Wow, didn't expect this kind of demand for them I might have to order some more as I want atleast 50 for myself. On the good side shipping in Canada is very cheap so if people need I can ship them. If people want I can do 10 for $40.00 to but I need to know so I can bring them in for us. (Also if anyone is looking for larger amounts let me know, the more we get the cheaper it will cost me so the cheaper it is for you).
Levi

ottoman
01-22-2010, 02:48 AM
I will get 10, ship to Vancouver please. Please PM for details (payment, shipping,....)

Thanks.

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 02:53 AM
I will take payment info and shipping info when the pods come in from Hawaii, I don't trust myself with that kind of info until the last minute (Besides, doing so might force Chem, Calc or Physics out of my head that is freshly learned :lol:). All I ask is that everyone who is interested to post your desired number of pods on this thread so I can track the number.
Thanks,
Levi

JJB84
01-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Can these be put in the main tank?

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 03:11 AM
The pod requires about 1-2 inches of sand for substrate (Or some sort of rock/wood) and the top has to be out of the water. Other than that, its plant and play.

bkelly
01-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi could i have 5 please, I live in kelowna would you be able to send them. thanks, brent

Keana
01-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Need 5 but why not 10. Group order for Vancouver?

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Yes, I will either be shipping out to individual residence or in a group order (Depending how much everything costs).

CouchRugby needs 10+
NightOwl needs 10+

Funky_Fish14
01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey, I will be passing through calgary on feb 18 (going home that time). I'd like to take 5 of those if you have them by that date? Dont press yourself for anything though, if you need/want to bump someone off, just drop my request. I know what the Chem/phys/calc/bio is like, im doing those 4 right now, haha.

Thanks,

Chris

ABreefkpr
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I would like 5 for myself too please.

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Marked down and marked down, the only problem I can see us running into in Feb is a cold streak, if it's really cold out I will hold out on shipping until we get a chinook week and I will send them all out then (Pick up's aside).

mark
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Crosses, little fishy grave yard?

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2527/p1000203c.jpg

Pescador
01-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Don't these need a phytosanitary certificate for import?

nanmer
01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Levi,

Can you please change my order to 10 since it is such a good deal!

Thanks!

Seamazter
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I would like to change mine to 10 too levi.

couchrugby2
01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Levi, as requested posting to thread. Original message was yes please I will take 10.
Regards
Tim

Chowder
01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I would like to get 20 mangroves myself please.

Thanks, Chris

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Last time everything worked out well, ahah I think he marked them as "Colored paintsticks" on the invoice or something along those lines last time. I think I will bring in 200 of them (Again as I want a whackload for myself), but will wait a few days before I place the order to verify.

Don't these need a phytosanitary certificate for import?

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Hey, I will be passing through calgary on feb 18 (going home that time). I'd like to take 5 of those if you have them by that date? Dont press yourself for anything though, if you need/want to bump someone off, just drop my request. I know what the Chem/phys/calc/bio is like, im doing those 4 right now, haha.

Thanks,

Chris

I will bring 5 in for you, if you can't pick them up shipping will be cheap. I want anywhere between 50 and 100 for myself so if some people don't pick there's up I'm fine with that.

Crosses, little fishy grave yard?
Its a little pirate ship that I got from Petcetera, the clown in the photo has really bad pop-eye though :( So yes I can see it turning into a fish grave yard soon.

Marlin65
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I would like to take ten as well.
A group buy for us out here is probably the best way to go so you don't have to package them all individually.

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I would like to take ten as well.
A group buy for us out here is probably the best way to go so you don't have to package them all individually.

I will look into shipping costs when we are closer to arrival date, If its cheap I will send them out to your home address in the mail. If its really pricey I will opt for a group package sent out.
Levi

sphelps
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
FYI this is far from a group order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/26-RED-MANGROVE-AQUARIUM-FISH-PLANTS-or-MANGROVES-SEEDS_W0QQitemZ360228376702QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item53df48d07e

I use to order these in as well, with shipping they are less than $1 each. And if the package is stopped at customs without a phytosanitary certificate the plants will be destroyed.

You can order in stuff and sell if for whatever you want but doing so with the intent to profit borderlines as vendor status, which a lot of people here have paid a substantial figure to do. It's also misleading to state this as a group order since you're not selling the items at your cost but rather making up to $5 per pod.

Zoaelite
01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
FYI this is far from a group order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/26-RED-MANGROVE-AQUARIUM-FISH-PLANTS-or-MANGROVES-SEEDS_W0QQitemZ360228376702QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item53df48d07e

I use to order these in as well, with shipping they are less than $1 each. And if the package is stopped at customs without a phytosanitary certificate the plants will be destroyed.

You can order in stuff and sell if for whatever you want but doing so with the intent to profit borderlines as vendor status, which a lot of people here have paid a substantial figure to do. It's also misleading to state this as a group order since you're not selling the items at your cost but rather making up to $5 per pod.

Sphelps your right in the fact that there is a small profit to be made, at the same time I'm taking the risk of ordering 300 of these which can be destroyed at the border and I also need to co-ordinate the whole mess (Plus have 10-20 people over to my house and boxes sent for shipping). If people want to order themselves they are more than welcome to (And I will take no offense if anyone who has already posted changes there mind). I picked the numbers I picked for the risk assessment. At an average retail price of $15.00 per pod I believe $4.00- $5.00 is still a fairly decent group order price (and you do pay more than $1.00 per with the cost of shipping during winter). If canreef decides this is some how a vendor infringement by all means remove the post and I will order them for myself. Thanks for your opinion though.
Levi

Btw if anyone wants to order them yourself the gentleman in Hawaii is named Brian, Sphelps has provided you with his ebay post so you can go from there. The guy is extremely fast and easy to deal with.

bloat
01-22-2010, 07:22 PM
pmd you.
sorry bout the double pm.
10 to kamloops...?

DCDN
01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
If you still have any left I'd be interested in one or two

sphelps
01-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't import mangroves from Hawaii, they are a protected species there.

I understand the concept of making money when you're putting effort in but I don't think it's fair to do this on this site unless you're a supporting vendor. Arranging group orders is one thing but you're simply ordering from a wholesaler and reselling at retail pricing, and you're not even legally importing them. In my books what you're doing is unethical in more than one way. If a vendor advertised selling livestock without the proper permits he would get chewed up, actually this just recently happened.

*****edited******

Chin_Lee
01-24-2010, 01:04 AM
This thread was removed for a period of time to look into some concerns that were raised. After some time to ponder these concerns, there are several issues here to which I will address.

Firstly the vendor status - if this is a one time purchase of an item, we do not see an issue with this.

Secondly - re: the profit margin in doing a group buy. There is nothing written in stone anywhere about the profit margin "allowed" before its considered profitable to be financially advantageous. Having said that, the prices at $6 each, or $5 each or $4 each are NOT retail prices for these items. They are at about 1/3 - 1/2 of retail. Although the prices are not retail and definitely at a discount, will there be sufficient profit for a moderator to intervene due to conflicting interest with vendors? Again, as previously stated, because this is a one-time basis and other members DO have the option to order directly from the source, I do not feel that a moderator needs to intervene at this time.

Thirdly - re: unethical practices. It is not clear on the practice in which the package will cross the border. However, if it is properly labelled by the shipper on the contents of the package AND the package was put through the mail system where CBSA inspectors are tasked to monitor and inspect these packages based on the item description, and at the CBSA officers' discretion they allowed the package in the country to be delivered, then it is at the CBSA officer's discretion that the package arrives in Canada without the proper phytosanitary permits. Ethically it is not good practice BUT nor is it illegal and the chances of the package arriving is based on pure luck. I relate to this in the way I purchase items from China on Ebay in which technically and LEGALLY I am suppose to pay PST/GST on the items I purchased. But at the discretion of the CBSA inspectors, majority of the time they will allow the item to go through even on items i should have had to pay $40-$50 of taxes.
Having said that, there is a HUGE risk involved here in that the CBSA officer will likely inspect if plant material is noted on the item declaration. Personally I wouldn't not take this risk but if a person so chooses to risk their money, then its at their discretion.
Also its been noted that if these are brought in as PODS ONLY, then it is legal and if it is sprouting leaves, it is not considered legal. I had personal experience with other plants with similar circumstances and it had the same legal "concerns".

Fourthly, the selling of protected item from Hawaii - IF we are to assume the seller is collecting them from the wild, then this is definitely illegal and it is also unethical to buy. BUT before we jump to any conclusions and begin accusing people of wrong-doings, we should show diligence in getting more information from the seller who MAY have a permit to collect and sell the mangroves. If he doesn't have a permit or proper reason to be selling these, it should then be addressed to EBAY and the seller of the item. This is not the moderators job to investigate so ALL PARTIES please show ddinitiative to gather some more information before claiming allegations of wrong-doing.

This thread is re-activated and it will be monitored accordingly.

Seamazter
01-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Thankyou canreef.

blueyota
01-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Levi if your still getting the mangroves i will still take some

kien
01-24-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't import mangroves from Hawaii, they are a protected species there.

Hmm I wonder why.. since they are not native to Hawaii and the University of Hawaii Botany Department classifies them as pests :biggrin:

Furthermore, it is out of control in some parts of Hawaii. In several places throughout Hawaii, volunteers are asked to help clear out the mangroves by cutting them down.

I was in Hawaii not too long ago:biggrin:

new but handy
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
****edited*******
http://www.issg.org/database/species/reference_files/leuleu/Rauzon.pdf
here are some facts
They are not even a native species so I don't know why they would be protected

Zoaelite
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow I can't believe how much of an ordeal this has stirred up, thank you for jumping to my aid everyone but we all mess up facts once in a while so there is no need to chastise sphelps (As morally unethical as I might still exist in his books). I will continue with the order for all those that are interested, please PM me with your orders and post here that way I coordinate everything with some certainty.
Thank You!
Levi

Seamazter
01-24-2010, 07:19 PM
10 please good sir.

sphelps
01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Mangroves are a protected species in Florida and not Hawaii, I apologize for getting those mixed up.

I am pretty sure you'll still need a phytosanitary certificate to get them legally across the boarder, they may technically be seeds but that's not necessarily what customs will consider them. The first time I ordered them they where destroyed at the boarder because I was unaware of the requirement. The next time I got the certificate which I recomend getting as it only costs around $50 and the supplier should be able to supply it for you.

Off topic but I just wanted to mention that vendors will charge between $10-$15 for plants because they have invested time and money into growing them out, the more mature the plant the higher the price. Pods will usually sell for $5 to $10 at most. The fact that ordering from wholesalers and reselling at a higher price is considered acceptable provided the price is below retail kind of surprises me. It's pretty easy to sell things for less when overhead doesn't exist. Of course I don't make the rules but I sure am glad I'm not a vendor.

So following the rules would it be acceptable for me to organize group orders from other livestock wholesalers? I mean provided I keep the prices below standard retail :wink:

Zoaelite
01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Mangroves are a protected species in Florida and not Hawaii, I apologize for getting those mixed up.

I am pretty sure you'll still need a phytosanitary certificate to get them legally across the boarder, they may technically be seeds but that's not necessarily what customs will consider them. The first time I ordered them they where destroyed at the boarder because I was unaware of the requirement. The next time I got the certificate which I recomend getting as it only costs around $50 and the supplier should be able to supply it for you.

Off topic but I just wanted to mention that vendors will charge between $10-$15 for plants because they have invested time and money into growing them out, the more mature the plant the higher the price. Pods will usually sell for $5 to $10 at most. The fact that ordering from wholesalers and reselling at a higher price is considered acceptable provided the price is below retail kind of surprises me. It's pretty easy to sell things for less when overhead doesn't exist. Of course I don't make the rules but I sure am glad I'm not a vendor.

So following the rules would it be acceptable for me to organize group orders from other livestock wholesalers? I mean provided I keep the prices below standard retail :wink:

Again, as previously stated, because this is a one-time basis and other members DO have the option to order directly from the source, I do not feel that a moderator needs to intervene at this time.

Sphelps please drop it, I'm not sure where this need for vindication is coming from but I am far from reeling in the cash on this. It started with me needing a whack load of mangroves for myself, I asked if anyone else wanted any and I got an incredible about of interest at the price that I posted. I simply exist as the middle man for a one time transaction. As far as LFS investing time in growing out mangroves/ pods if there was a shop in Calgary selling them for $5.00 I would of purchased the pods locally. Pods that have taken root and starting growing leaves don't handle transport that well so its preferential to purchase them in the pod state and let them grow to your system.
Levi

Eb0la11
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Can I get two? I dunno what Im quite getting myself into, but would they grow well out of my deep sand bed in my refugium?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Mangrove pods that are NOT sprouting or embedded in the ground are legal to collect in Florida.

Chin_Lee
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Reason for this group buy to continue is outlined in my post. If you have issues with it, please PM me. Otherwise, play nice.

Zoaelite
02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Excuse my silence on this recently, been a little busy but see the front page for updated info.
Thank you!
Levi

Eb0la11
02-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Was gonna be in for 5 but dont see my name on the list. Maybe I was too late? I guess I'll be on the waiting list to see if someone else backs out or takes less than what they have asked for. Cheers!

Zoaelite
02-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Was gonna be in for 5 but dont see my name on the list. Maybe I was too late? I guess I'll be on the waiting list to see if someone else backs out or takes less than what they have asked for. Cheers!

Opps, sorry updated that for you.
Levi

bkelly
02-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Hi Levi I just want 5 not 10 thanks

Seamazter
02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Just picked up 10 of these for levi, very nice and heathly looking too, they are just about to sprout leaves this is perfect since that is the best time to add them to your fuge.
I shoulda brought more money, he has some very nice frags for sale.

Eb0la11
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Anyone have any picks of theirs so far? We grabbed some as well the other day. I have been gone but my room mate grabbed them and they are floating in our fuge on top of a piece of the pink styrofoam.

First off, is having this styro safe to float in the tank?

Second, has anyones started to sprout roots or leaves? I have a 6500K 23W bulb over them right now that runs 12 hrs per day. Its about 4-8" from the various pods I have.

Do you guys think this will suffice? If I plant the mangroves in my DSB they would be fully submerged, so for now I have them floating. I figure this is the best way to get the roots to extend down like in the wild anyways.

Zoaelite
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Eb0la can you give a big thanks from me to Konrad for picking those up, there should be no leaves or roots growing yet take them off of the styrofoam and completly insert the root end into your substrate (Your lighting and system sound perfect for them). It doesn't matter if the pod is completly submerged, but once its in place leave it be. You will get massive root growth before you see any leaves growing, in 4-5 months they should double in size.
Levi

Eb0la11
03-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Anyone seen any growth so far out of their mangroves? We have ours now submersed in the water and buried until the pod becomes green in the sand. So far no roots against the glass or change in the pod above the sand surface either haha. We're patient for sure, just wondering if others have any noticeable growth yet?

Seamazter
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes i have 10 of them al with red/white roots and little buds at the top.

Eb0la11
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes i have 10 of them al with red/white roots and little buds at the top.

Are yours submerged as well? Or are part of them above the surface?