PDA

View Full Version : emergency help

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 08:47 AM
i got home from work and my tank is at 86 degrees, heater is set at 76-79
its never done this my acan looks dead shrunk right up help plz what would cause this

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
and for a control mesure my FW tank temp is normal so its not my house heat affecting it

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 10:04 AM
think i found the culprit...... broken heater contact must be stuck closed keeping the heater on so im buying a new one already unplugged so ill switch my WC heater 75w to my freshwater and my FW 100w to the SW i know its not enough but it will have to do till tomorrow morning

MitchM
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Depending on your tank size, you could run an airstone or run a fan across the surface of your water to help bring the temp down quickly.
You don't happen to have some new salt water sitting at room temperature you could add to your system, do you?
A bag of ice cubes floating in the sump could help too.

Bad luck.

Mitch

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
i do have wc water warmed to what tank was before the heater broke
shoudl. i add slowly?

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 10:54 AM
or should i just go through the wc as planed tonight

MitchM
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Anything lower than the current tank temperature would help to bring down the higher temperature. Depending on what percentage water change you have available, I wouldn't be concerned about slowly or not. 10 - 20% I would change quickly - 50% I would do over a half hour or less.

Mitch

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
its a 46 bow so i have about 10 gallons ready :) TY

banditpowdercoat
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Good idea to keep some 2l pop bottles frozen with water, just in case. can float them in tank to cool water. Even pop bottles filled with cold tap water will help in emergency. My heater did that once, I caught it at 94F Shrimps and all LPS died. fish and Softies survived though

edikpok
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I would cool it down very slowly! quick temp changes are bad for the tank. Add an extra airstone as was mentioned above. Do not feed the fish either for 1-2 days.

When temp comes to apprx what it should be, do a water change

belzebuth
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I would go with the frozen pop bottles in the sump like Dan said. My tank went up to 90 degres last summer during the heat wave since I was not home. Beside my xenia melting everyting made it through. Bring the temp down slowly

Black Phantom
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
86 isnt that bad. Just let it cool down on it's own. It should be ok. Don't shock anything by rapid cooling.

whatcaneyedo
01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
If you already have adequate circulation and oxygenation I dont think that is too warm either. But to avoid future problems you may want to invest in a quality temperature controller.

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 08:20 PM
ok well i did the WC lastnight (im nightshift worker) so it had to be higher then 86 since thats as high as my thermo goes and after the 10 gallon change it still said 86 so it was much higher i lost a shrimp, my acan looks to be recovering he has got puffy although from this angle it looks like a head fell of in the back ill check tonight when lights come back on, cynaria is completly sucked in BUT its feeding tenticals are out so im hoping he pulls through. starfish, clowns, softies, all look fine now, hammer still looks mad one head completly sucked in other one is slightly out like normal. ducan STILL looks like nothing ever happened, hes a dam tank man lol. best part looks like nothing bleached on me. i have a 100w heater in now and i let it cool on its own over the night dropped down to 30ish. going to get one of those rena heaters, supposed to have a light flash if the temp drops +-5 degrees past the setting. incase somthing happens again, my g/f can catch it a little sooner since shes home way more then me. ill post again tonight to let everyone know what happened, and ty for all the advice and knowlage.
i love canreef

Aquaria
01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
temp controller is unneeded imo i know the heater broke and this has never happened. the heater was a year old bought used with the tank and my tank is sumpless so no sump cooling :( i swear next tank is going to be a 100g with a 100g sump :P.