PDA

View Full Version : Sohal Tang Scalpel Injury help

asylumdown
01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Hello!

So I had intended my first post on this site to be a general introduction and hello, but I'm afraid that will have to wait as something urgent came up today.

I have a medium sized Sohal tang that has been in my 90 gallon display for 2 weeks now. He's acclimated nicely and now eats pretty much right out of my hand. He was purchased knowing that he will have a 230 gallon home to move to (under construction) as he grows and he is the only tang in the tank.

I came home from work this afternoon to discover that his left defensive scalpel is 'stuck' in an extended position.

His only other tank mates are a pair of cinnamon clowns, a female lineatus wrasse, a cleaner wrasse (which eats voraciously, though he was definitely an un-researched impulse purchase) and a neon dottyback.

water parameters are:
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates - under 5 ppm
SG 1.025
25 degrees
calcium 550ppm
alkalinity 11.7
pH 8.2

If anyone has ever seen an injury like this, or knows what could have happened I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Better yet, if anyone knows how to treat this injury before he rips the scalpel clean off on a rock or injures another fish that would be sweet.

Thank you!

Chin_Lee
01-21-2010, 01:40 AM
he won't be injured if the "tang" falls off. It will slowly grow back if thats the case. I've had some VERY aggressive tangs lose their scalpel and slowly grow back. Be cautious about adding fishes in the future though - it shows that your tang is rather aggressive and has no reservations about using its "defensive" tool for offence.

untamed
01-21-2010, 05:11 AM
My achilles was purchased missing 1 blade and it has never regrown in over 2 years now.