PDA

View Full Version : A sad day

Triggz
01-20-2010, 08:16 AM
I was feeding my seahorses tonight like I usually do after work. After watching my male suck up some mysis for a few minutes I realized I didn't see the female. I wasn't too worried about it as sometimes she would be on the other side of the tank hunting pods or hanging out. I walked away from the tank for a few minutes and then came back and still didn't see her. Now im a little worried, so I start to look around the tank and end up finding her stuck in a piece of liverock dead! :sad:

I went to take her out and couldn't understand how she was so stuck! At this point I took a closer look only to find a big nasty crab playing tug-o-war with me on the other side!! This is the first time I have even seen this thing. As soon as I got her free I lost the crab in the liverock. :censored:

Im not really sure if she actually got stuck or if the crab pulled her into the liverock. Either way it just sux! My seahorses were the only thing I brought with me when I moved here from Ontario. I had them shipped overnight. Up until I left Ontario they were breeding every 15 days and rayjay was raising the fry.

Im gonna have one sad male seahorse in the morning :sad:

Leah
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Sorry to hear that!

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorry to hear this Ryan, that truely sucks man.

fishoholic
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
That really sucks, sorry to hear.

Trocar61
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey that really does suck. Sorry to here that. hope you can find the male a new friend.

Triggz
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Im not really sure were to go from here. Mixing seahorses from different sources can be risky and is usually not recommended, so finding him a new mate might be a no go.

Zoaelite
01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
That really sucks Ryan, they were a breeding pair too right?

Triggz
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
That really sucks Ryan, they were a breeding pair too right?

Yes they were. Haven't had a batch since moving them across the country but in Ontario they were breeding every 15 days to the day. Ray has a few of the fry to almost a year now.

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes they were. Haven't had a batch since moving them across the country but in Ontario they were breeding every 15 days to the day. Ray has a few of the fry to almost a year now.
Dumb question but could you use a female from the fry as a mate or is that considered inbreeding for seahorse as well, I am not a mrine biologist so I had to ask.

freddy
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Find the crab and get rid of him,I've lost a few fish to crabs.

Triggz
01-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Dumb question but could you use a female from the fry as a mate or is that considered inbreeding for seahorse as well, I am not a mrine biologist so I had to ask.

Im not really sure how that would work either. Im wondering if I could add a few of the fry even as tankmates.

Eduardo
01-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Sorry to hear about that dude.

rayjay
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
You can do it but the more often you do so, the more risk you run of problem fry in reproduction, like underdeveloped or missing tails, stillborn, etc....
I think first born match probably won't be too bad though.
I still have about 25 of these offspring of Ryan's that I haven't sold yet but I have been unable to ship them.
As soon as the courier feels the water movement, they reject the parcel for shipping.
I want to use full bags by using Kordon breathing bags but can't find them in Canada and the company's Novalek Inc. store won't ship to Canada.
If someone can find me a source to buy these Kordon bags I could ship some of these fry to Ryan. I need the 7.5 by 12" size.
By filling completely with water and propping the bag so it doesn't move around, I should be able to get by the shippers acceptance.
Kordon Breathing Bags (http://www.novalek.net/vshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Aquarium+%26+Pond+Accessories)

The Grizz
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
You can do it but the more often you do so, the more risk you run of problem fry in reproduction, like underdeveloped or missing tails, stillborn, etc....
I think first born match probably won't be too bad though.
I still have about 25 of these offspring of Ryan's that I haven't sold yet but I have been unable to ship them.
As soon as the courier feels the water movement, they reject the parcel for shipping.
I want to use full bags by using Kordon breathing bags but can't find them in Canada and the company's Novalek Inc. store won't ship to Canada.
If someone can find me a source to buy these Kordon bags I could ship some of these fry to Ryan. I need the 7.5 by 12" size.
By filling completely with water and propping the bag so it doesn't move around, I should be able to get by the shippers acceptance.
Kordon Breathing Bags (http://www.novalek.net/vshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Aquarium+%26+Pond+Accessories)
Hey rayjay I seen your post this morning ans did a searh and found this on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250526596445

rayjay
01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the link, but at $30 shipped for 25 bags it's too rich for my blood.
shrimpchips gave me a link to pricenetwork.ca so I registered and was confirmed after they sent my e-mail, but they don't let me log on.
The log on page just keeps coming up again reset with no explanation as in improper name/password.
I click on the help link, and a page comes up "no permission to view".
For some reason they don't like me I guess.

Triggz
01-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Thanks for looking Grizz. I did some searching as well and found another auction style site specifically for fish related stuff. It takes a day to get registered and then I can figure what the cost would be to Canada. The guy on ebay is pulling the old shipping and "handling" scheme. I disagree with people trying to make their profit this way. I once bought a poker set on ebay for $10 then figured out he had the shipping set at $60 US! A poker set is heavy but come on! I contacted ebay and was able to back out of the purchase.

Ray I will let you know if I find some at a reasonable price. They would also work good for sending newborn fry! I have a feeling I will see some more this week.

The Grizz
01-22-2010, 03:29 AM
It was the first one I seen & I have no idea what they should cost. I hate that to when seller jack the shipping as well.

What is the site you found interested in checking it out

Ray can I ask what you sell you sea horses for, I am eventually going to get my tank up & running for sea horse's soon I hope.

rayjay
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
A lady going by "firestorm" on albertaaquatica posted that she ordered from someone named "Ken" and I'm assuming he is in Calgary as she is.
If I can find a way to contact her, I could find out who Ken is and order the 7.5 by 12 that I want.
Anyone know how to contact her? I signed on to the forum but have to wait to get approved by an administrator.
http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=24423&mode=threaded

The Grizz
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I am on that board now and will look to see if I can find her. It might be Ken from Blue Water in Edmonton

The Grizz
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Sent pm to Firestorm

rayjay
01-24-2010, 02:43 AM
OK, I finally got on albertaaquatica and rjsomers replied for me in the thread that I can buy the bags from kensfish.com in the US.
It appears they will ship to me but slow mail cost is $20 shipping for 50 bags, but the cost of 50 bags is just $12.50
If I don't find a better deal, at least I can go with that one if they accept credit cards as I don't do paypal.
Thanks for the help everyone.