PDA

View Full Version : I give up! Birds Nest & I don't mix...

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Well I have decided now after 3 different frag's of Birds Nest that were doing good for the first couple and then slowly die off that it is not ment to be.

The last 2 frag's I got from Snappy the night of the frag meet in Calgary & now they are half bare of any polyps. the other frags I got & the a. humis from John are doing great. Same with the clam, plate, troch form RC. Everything that was already in my tank is doing great as well.

Don't know what to think.

globaldesigns
01-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Hey, how's it going?

In regards to your Birdsnest, where do you have it. They require high lighting with medium to strong water flows.

I have found that if you don't do that, then they are prone to get algae and die off. At least for me.

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Going good & you.

The BN frag's are at the top of my tank, about 6" below water level, center of the tank right under my middle MH. Flow wise is med - high in that area, sprayer bars are pointed towards center of tank as are my power heads.

banditpowdercoat
01-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Ya I can't keep a birdsnest either :(

fencer
01-20-2010, 07:02 AM
I have some greenish white BN's if you would like to try again. I have the pink ones too.

fishytime
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey Greg, .....can you get the BN out of the tank?.....if so take it out and crazy glue the edge between the living and dead tissue(makes sure you cover some living tissue).....this can sometimes stop the R or STNing.....keep an eye on it and if it continues to recede than frag off the remaining living bits....

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I have some greenish white BN's if you would like to try again. I have the pink ones too.
Maybe when I get the new tank up and running I will give it a nother try.

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Greg, .....can you get the BN out of the tank?.....if so take it out and crazy glue the edge between the living and dead tissue(makes sure you cover some living tissue).....this can sometimes stop the R or STNing.....keep an eye on it and if it continues to recede than frag off the remaining living bits....
Ya I can get them out. I will try it and see what happens

Seamazter
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
This is good news greg, the birdsnest is a begginer coral, now that your more advanced its telling you this that its time to move along to more expensive frags by dieing in your tank.
Take it as a good sign that your tank is just too advanced for such a begginer coral.

Hope u see my coment as a joke, and dont think im being at all serrious.

Marlin65
01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I killed off some of mine with having too much flow on it. Just a thought.

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT BEGINNER CORAL............................................. ...

Just poking at you, smart ass.

I don't understand though because it doesn't matter wht I put in my tank for a coral they do great. I have a Baby Blue Milli frag & purple acro frag doing great. Blue tip acro & A.Humis colonie doing great not to mention the anem's Clams Torch Long Tent plate. I just don't get it.

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Even a non photosynthetic gorgonian is doing good

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I killed off some of mine with having too much flow on it. Just a thought.
A thought to ponder.

imcosmokramer
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
something strange. I grow the green bird's nest like nobody's business. Had several colonies the size of volleyballs. However, I CAN NOT grow pink bird's nest, under any circumstances. It's the only coral I can't grow. Very strange, very annoying :)
________
M F L B (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

lorenz0
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Best thing with birdsnest is to start it lower in the tank and than move it up slowly. did the same for my 3 frags and my colony i left it where it is mid tank. Flow has never been an issue but light has. my first try with green birdnest was a complete failure. just a thought. but everyone has that one coral that has issues in their tank, for me it was monti's for the longest time

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
This is what mine look like now as of today:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/IMG_5179.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/IMG_5180.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/IMG_5182.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/IMG_5183.jpg

Here are the other frags I got the same day:
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/IMG_5187.jpg

fishytime
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
well....Seriatopora are not acropora, so dont assume they will behave the same way:wink:.....now that I ve the pics, I think Laurier hit the nail on the head.....kinda looks like tip burn from light (or possibly flow too)

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
well....Seriatopora are not acropora, so dont assume they will behave the same way:wink:.....now that I ve the pics, I think Laurier hit the nail on the head.....kinda looks like tip burn from light (or possibly flow too)
ok clue me in which one is the Seriatopora. i was thinkin gthe same thing about burnt tips, should I put them lower in the tank and what do I do about the dead tips?

fishytime
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
ok clue me in which one is the Seriatopora. i was thinkin gthe same thing about burnt tips, should I put them lower in the tank and what do I do about the dead tips?

Seriatopora, is the birds nest family of sps.....yup definitely put them lower in the tank..... you could leave the tips and they will likely grow over the "scar"s in time, or you could snip em off.....do keep an eye on it and if it recedes anymore try the crazy glue trick....

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
When I got them from Snappy he told me the smaller taller one was his birds of many colors and the other one was a pink birds nest.

fencer
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I would just cut some of the dead growth off. It really doesn't look like STN. My BN's sit in the top half of the tank under 250's

Delphinus
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
That could also be damage from something stinging it. Was there any neighbouring corals nearby, or could it have been tipped over into something?

The Grizz
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
That could also be damage from something stinging it. Was there any neighbouring corals nearby, or could it have been tipped over into something?
Nothing near then at all. I have a flat rock that has hole's drilled into it for frag plug and they were in there away from everything else as they are at the top of the rock pile.

sharuq1
01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd have to agree with the advice to place it lower in the tank. I found that my birdsnests did their best growing at midlevel or at high level but slightly shaded (in other words that one was high, but it was also under a brace so it was shaded a bit). Too much light=burned

Sometimes these just go for no apparent reason too. I had one that was doing great for over a year and one day it a bunch of it just inexplicably died. *shrug*

The Grizz
01-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Well I have put both BN frag's lower in the tank and it looks like they are doing better. I will have to watch them very close, Thanks to everyine who responded with idea's and help.

Aquattro
01-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Strange, my tank has pretty much gone to shite, yet my pink birdsnest has stayed vibrant and keeps growing. Which is good, because I think this is the last of the colony that it came from about 5 years ago (thx Shao!)

fooser
01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
It looks like too much flow to me.
I also agree with Laurier on the possibility of too much light too quickly after being introduced to a different system with different parameters than they came from originally. Hope it turns around for you though. :)