PDA

View Full Version : anemone question

steveybb
01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I was just wondering if anemone's eat coral? Not the best pic, but hope it helps any. The 2 little green candy canes are no longer there as I think this little guy ate them. :(

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/steveybb/anemone.jpg

Delphinus
01-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Not really eat them but they can sting them and irritate them. The candycane is definitely looking a little haggard in that picture.

steveybb
01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Yeah there not fully opened, just put them in my frag tank. Ok so maybe they just detached them selfs and in my tank some where then?

Marlin65
01-20-2010, 01:35 AM
I would say you have other problems what are your parameters?

steveybb
01-20-2010, 01:56 AM
I would say you have other problems what are your parameters?

Oh no my parameters are good, all my other coral are doing fine I just bought these from my lfs and just finished acclimating these and took a pic, but when I got home from work today I noticed that I only had 1 out of 3 candy canes left and that anemone was last by the 2 that are gone, so I was wondering if they eat coral or something. The anemone was on a piece of rock I bought too and did even know it was on there till I got home and put it in my tank.

purplepolypeater
01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
no man they look near dead in the pic even how long after you put them in the tank did you take that picture. id say either that they have been getting stung for days even or something is wrong with water differences between your tank and the lfs. corals existing in water that is slowly changing parameters can adjust and do "great" but a newly introduced coral originating from different parameters or even brands of salt can really suffer.

i just noticed you said just finished acclimatising, well the recession looks like it was already unhealthy. i suggest lots of research on potential purchases before they are made. you will then be able to make slightly better decision as to specific coral needs and behavior as well as finding the healthiest coral possible i suggest asking someone on this forum for a small healthy frag of candycane. i am positive they would also no questions asked inform you or any other reefer of any special requirements or feeding of said frags.

happy reefing and sorry for the long winded post as i have had a bit to drink,
p.s. i doubt any reefer can say truthfully they have not let something die that could have been prevented we just need to learn from our mistakes and each others.

purplepolypeater
01-20-2010, 09:09 AM
sorry but candycane coral does no detach the polyps that are missing are gone forever, although if that 1 head survives it may eventually split creating a secondary and so forth.