PDA

View Full Version : WC mixing question

Aquaria
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
do you need a powerhead to mix WCs i have a heater and airstone thing is that good enough or should i buy yet ANOTHER Powerhead as i jhust bought one to replace the flow from a canister filter that i shut down.

kien
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
without a powerhead you will be mixing that salt by hand, which can be a royal pain in a large container like that. Do yourself a huge favour and get a powerhead for mixing salt :-)

Once you figure out how man cups of salt you need per volume of water in that container it becomes quite easy.

1. Fill container with water
2. Turn on powerhead and heater.
3. dump in x cups of salt.
4. Got watch some TV, have coffee or take a bathroom break.

I do not use an airstone in my saltwater mix.

EDIT: That is unless you are doing small water changes in a smaller container, then mixing by hand I guess is fine :-) I mix a batch of 25g of new salt water the day before a water change in a garbage bin so mixing that sucker by hand would be painful. Even mixing salt in a 5 gallon pail is made easier with a small powerhead to stir the salt and water.

Namnuta
01-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I use just a heater and a Air stone in my mixing bucket. Takes me 5 min to mix up 20 gallons. I used to have a small power head, and found it easier to just mix by hand. IMO.

mark
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I just use a PH and heater (no airstone), believe the surface agitation is all I need.

Realize there's no good reason to but still I let the water sit for at least a few days before a change.

What I do want though is the tank that's in the top of post 9, here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711626).

Aquaria
01-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Well i think ill just use tye heater and airstone and mix by hand to save some cash for now
my last question is after its mixed should ieave the airstone in till im ready to do the change 24 hours after i mix the salt in

hillegom
01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I just use a PH and heater (no airstone), believe the surface agitation is all I need.

Realize there's no good reason to but still I let the water sit for at least a few days before a change.

What I do want though is the tank that's in the top of post 9, here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711626).

Have you looked at these?
http://www.plastic-mart.com/

NuraNori
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I also mix my salt by hand (but I only mix 5 gallons at time) and then I leave an airstone in until the next day when I'm ready for the water change. I like that it keeps the water moving and saturates my water with oxygen.

Well i think ill just use tye heater and airstone and mix by hand to save some cash for now
my last question is after its mixed should ieave the airstone in till im ready to do the change 24 hours after i mix the salt in

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Small amounts, an air stone will do.

I do 55g barrels so I use a Maxijet900 or 1200 or small Mag pump to mix the water vigorously.

iansfishy
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I can get food grade 40 gallon plastic barrells if anyone is interested. I get them for flax, I have to pay a deposit on them, but if someone was to cover the deposit cost they could have em. I get them in 18 gallon as well. Ive used one for a couple years now.