PDA

View Full Version : Need Help and suggestions with new tank!

dsaundry
01-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Well I scrimped and saved as my wife won't let me just yank money out of the bank{says it's illegal} but a couple of months ago I saw an ad on craigslist for a 150g reef ready tank with stand and hardware and lights, so I went out to look at it and it wasn't a 150g but a 120g, no big deal, I figured I am going to put in a 50g sump and a small 10g fuge with it so I should be ok.First of all the lady that sold it to me was getting sick of moving it around an figured she would never get it set up anyway, so she said she had sunk over 3 grand into the system and being brand new and the fact that I was the only one that called her up she sold it to me for $500.00, Sunday my son gave me a hand and we brought this lovely tank set up home, So here is what I need help with. I have never had a tank with overflows built in, so I would like drawings or pictures on how you would incorporate the 50g sump and 10g fuge together under the tank. I have a bunch of pumps but what rating of pump should I be using on a tank this size, I have lots and lots of live rock which I will be aquascaping into the tank and lots of hydor's for added circulation. I have the lights but no ballasts and am debating on not using the halides and going with t5's. It already has t5 actinics set up and I think for heat reasons I am leaning towards the t5 main light set up. All suggestions and comments are most welcome. I don't have thousands of dollars to throw into it {yet} but I already have most of the other equipment I will need. I have a skimmer{Deltec mce600} but I am considering trying one of the Buble Magus skimmers down the road. I still have my 72g set up with a 50g set up as well, but the plan is to take down the other tanks and basically just focus on one reef tank. I have a couple of pics of tank and will post them very soon. Thanks in advance for all the advise.:biggrin:

dsaundry
01-19-2010, 02:46 AM
pic's link to Photobucket
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/newtank001.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/newtank006.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/newtank003.jpg

dsaundry
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Bump?

Starry
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice, I'm jealous. No help though I'm afraid.

Chin_Lee
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Daryl
come over to my place and take pictures of the set up I just did in my basement. Its a 120g 4x2x2 but it also has twin overflows like yours. You will probably understand it better if you were to see it in person than me trying to describe it to you in in writing.

Chase31
01-19-2010, 11:50 PM
best bet is to go out and look at some as i am just starting and seeing a few really helps

VFX
01-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Darryl,

That tank is waaaaaaaaaaaay too big for your office.

I'll help you out by taking it off your hands for $500 so then you're only out gas money & a little bit of time.

I'll even throw in some of Florence's baked goods for you to make you feel better about your miscalculated purchase!

dsaundry
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks Chin, maybe we can set up a Sunday meet in a 3-4 weeks as the next 2 I am tied up....would love to see how you have them plumbed in. As for you Viv, its very tempting when you throw Florences baking in the pic but I am sticking to my diet:lol: and its for the den in the house, I sold my 90g and will soon be getting rid of my 72g bowfront, trying to get down to one tank. well 3 tanks:mrgreen:.
You will have to come over and see it though, just a real pretty tank, never been used yet.