PDA

View Full Version : Another Crab ID Thread

Albertan22
01-18-2010, 12:53 AM
There's more hitchiker crabs than I'd care to admit, but I caught sight of this a few days ago and thought to myself "that's one mean looking crab". He seems to reside in a piece of rock that my hammer coral is attached too and would require more work than I'd like to get out. Anybody know what he is?

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/Albertan22/DSCN2118.jpg

nlreefguy
01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
thought the overall appearance does not look great, those claw tips look a lot like an emerald. so maybe at least partially an algae eater?

bvlester
01-18-2010, 02:24 AM
It does look like an emerald crab sme people leave them in there tank and some do not. In geral crabs are a bad thing in a reef tank but some are ok I have a freind that has an emerald crab that is about 3-4 inches across and jst kind of hangs out in his spot does not move away from that one spot much at any time. at least emerald crabs eat algae.

Bill

Eyford01
01-18-2010, 02:25 AM
if the work of catching him is your worry try the tilted jar against the rock with a shrimp in the bottom for bait, the glass is too slppery to get back out, caught a ton of hermits this way and my pom pom a few times.... even caught the hitch hiker once

Albertan22
01-18-2010, 03:15 AM
I don't think its an emerald, it's hairy and black with white stripe-like markings on it's legs. Might try the glass trap.