PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy acrylic in Calgary

The Grizz
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know where to buy 3/8 acrylic in sheet for in Calgary?

karazy
01-18-2010, 12:04 AM
i was just at rona and saw they had some acrylic sheets, didnt take a look at what size though

Delphinus
01-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Rona does have some or so my brother tells me. I've never been able to find it but I've never looked THAT hard either. Otherwise the two best places for acrylic are Industrial Paints and Plastics (by Chinook Centre) and GEPolymerShapes. GEPolymerShapes will be a better option for you Grizz since it's on the north end just off Deerfoot, but then their hours might not work out that well for you unless you can come down during daytime hours..

Delphinus
01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
How much do you need? I can check my scrap pile for 3/8" but it won't be huge pieces.

The Grizz
01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Rona does have some or so my brother tells me. I've never been able to find it but I've never looked THAT hard either. Otherwise the two best places for acrylic are Industrial Paints and Plastics (by Chinook Centre) and GEPolymerShapes. GEPolymerShapes will be a better option for you Grizz since it's on the north end just off Deerfoot, but then their hours might not work out that well for you unless you can come down during daytime hours..
Thanks Tony I am in Calgary often for jobs as I have a welding company. EVERYONE HEAR THAT welding company, custom stand, lol.

The Grizz
01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
How much do you need? I can check my scrap pile for 3/8" but it won't be huge pieces.
I am going to be building a new sump for the new tank that I am looking at. It is going to be about 4' L x 22" W x 18" D with at least 3 - 4 compartments.

The Grizz
01-18-2010, 12:16 AM
I am going to be building a new sump for the new tank that I am looking at. It is going to be about 4' L x 22" W x 18" D with at least 3 - 4 compartments.
I was looking at GE Polyershapes & Industrials site. Is there a certain type of acrylic I should use?

russp
01-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Plastic Works , I believe they are on 52st in the southeast

Delphinus
01-18-2010, 05:45 AM
I didn't know there was different kinds of acrylic (well, beyond "cast" or "extruded"). Cast is the nicer (and more expensive) and more solid, extruded isn't as clear (extrusion lines) and can be more brittle. But that's about the sum total of my knowledge on that topic..

Black Phantom
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
GE Polyershapes probably has the best selection and price. Go for the cast and not extruded. They carry Weld on as well. Go with #3 or #4.
I like 4 a bit better because it has a longer set time and gives you a bit more time to work.
If you havn't done this before you can go to Melev's site. He's pretty much made every kind of sump you can imagine and is good for ideas.
http://www.melevsreef.com/

The Grizz
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Cool tanks for the info. I have all ready been to Melev's site and it is a good place to get info.