PDA

View Full Version : question about skimmer!!

kimlynn
01-16-2010, 05:48 AM
My dad just brought a new 110 gallon tank. what is a good brand name for a skimmer that he should buy? i was told that corallife isn't one to buy. is that right?

bvlester
01-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Generaly you get what you pay for in this hobby some people like 1 skimmer and the next person does not. so do alot of resurch and get the best you can aford to. surch on as many forums as you can and check out testimonials also as that will give you a general idear. I would stick with the big guys, there is a canadian skimmer that I have seen and it looks well made read some testamonials on one forum and they realy like the construction of it and said it skimmed realy well. anyways do alot of resurch and ask what others think about the skimmers you have narrowed it down to I would say no more than 4 different skimmers. I would also get one that is rated for a larger tank than you havesome thing like 2 times the size. I don't think it hurts much to go a bit big.

Bill

ultreef
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I've been researching skimmer for my 120gal setup so I might be able to help.

But first consider what your budget is. Also do you think you will upgrade to a bigger tank in the future and if so what size do you think you'll max out at? If possible you want to get a skimmer that'll work for your future plan so you don't have to invest again.

Also, consider what your bioload will be and what kind of corals you plan to keep. These will all help to determine what skimmers work best for your exact setup.