PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Putty

props
09-22-2003, 04:26 AM
has anyone use this product for attaching frags?
ne input will help
thanks

the product is called Epoxy Putty by Oatey
supposedly dries in minutes @ for only 5 bucks u can pick it up @ home depot

=o)

props
09-22-2003, 04:38 AM
just did some reading on the product and it states

"Cured epoxy putty is resistant to abrasion, resistant to a variety of chemicals. It provides excellent adhesion in both wet and dry applications and exhibits good electrical insulation properties. It contains no solvents and is non-hazardous when fully cured."
" Although dry surfaces are best for using the product, epox putty can be applied to wet surfaces- even underwater"

Canadian Man
09-22-2003, 04:45 AM
I have alway's been curious about this stuff. It's 1/4 the price of the stuff that you buy in an aquarium shop and looks the same other than color. I have alway's never tried it incase it contained something that would harm my fish/corals. I too would like to know the answer.

zulu_principle
09-22-2003, 04:48 AM
I would try it in a small aquarium to see if the ph changes in the water until it has fully cured before I decieded to put it in my aquarium. The pH seems to be the first sign that something is changing while its the product cures.

Then again, if a someone on the board has used it for sometime and had no ill effects I might try it as well.

Wendell

Jack
09-23-2003, 12:02 AM
"non-hazardous when fully cured."

That's the part that would worry about, does that mean hazardous before it's cured? :confused:

Would be nice if there was a tester or someone who's used it... anyone?

kari
09-23-2003, 01:36 AM
I'd bet the epoxy sold for aquarium use is "non-hazardous when fully cured" aswell. Just guessing though.

props
09-23-2003, 01:40 AM
guess i'll be the sacrificial lamb
:cry:

hope it works
:drinking:

Stretch
09-23-2003, 01:58 AM
I've seen this stuff too i'd really like to know. i considered buying but i didn't know if it would be good for an aquarium. It would be nice if it is since it 1/4 of the price of the other stuff

Jack
09-23-2003, 03:01 AM
I'd bet the epoxy sold for aquarium use is "non-hazardous when fully cured" aswell. Just guessing though.

Bet you're right kari. I just can't be 100% either.

Stretch
09-23-2003, 03:38 AM
one thread on RC, seems a few use it with only minor problems (skimmer reactions)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232504&highlight=Epoxy+Putty

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243072&highlight=putty

The real thing that got me concerned about the stuff at my home depot, is it said steel filled which kind of scared me.

props
09-23-2003, 03:54 AM
update

the expoxy has hardened after 30mins or so
ph still same
phospate still zero
nitrate-5ppm
ammonia 0

ev'rything seems normal so far same with my skimmer
then again i got a cheap skimmer [berlin xl]

don't have any pics guys so a donation of a digital camera would be much appreciated :wink:

Canadian Man
09-23-2003, 05:30 AM
When I use the "made for aquarium" stuff my skimmer goes nut's too.

Son Of Skyline
09-23-2003, 07:24 PM
I believe it was vwguy who told me about the Home Depot epoxy being the same stuff we pay $20 a tube for.

Thanks Jesse for confirming this for us :biggrin:

props
09-23-2003, 09:27 PM
ev'rything seems to be ok this morning
except my skimmer's bubbling more then ever

just got home and evrything seem to have settled down
=o)
no fatalities yet
but then again i only have
5chromis
2skunk clown
and a newly aquired naso tang

pocilipora
09-23-2003, 09:52 PM
I think Ive tried alot of brands even stuff from Lordco Auto Parts. As long as it had no metal, copper or wood, I used it.

Jack
09-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Why do you think it makes your skimmers go nuts?

pocilipora
09-24-2003, 12:16 AM
If you use enough of it, it does or can cause your skimmer to foam up more. Not quite sure why but it doesnt last for long. Sorry for jumping in. :biggrin:

Jack
09-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Wierd.

Delphinus
09-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Chris why steer away from wood? Wouldn't wood just disintegrate harmlessly over time? (Or not?)

pocilipora
09-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Chris why steer away from wood? Wouldn't wood just disintegrate harmlessly over time? (Or not?)
I dont know? But if I had a choice of wood or no wood Id pick no wood.

Megalodon
09-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Does anybody know anything about LePage two-part epoxy glue from Rona? And... I think it's Elmer's two-part epoxy glue from Home Depot? No, maybe it is Oatley that makes it... In any case, could someone give me the scoop on this stuff? I used both glues extensively in my wet/dry.

Also, could any locals tell me an exact silicon glue product at Rona or HD that is aquarium-safe? I used clear GE silicone II before and but often hear bad things about it. All of the labels say it's not safe, so it's confusing.

And also once more... anyone have problems with LOCTITE QuickTite super glue? I've heard bad things about Krazy Glue so thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: