PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest Rock

sleeman
09-22-2003, 04:25 AM
I quit this hobby in 1995 and am being drawn back in with full force. I guess my mind has finally become accustomed to the anti depressants. Anyhow, a friend I work with has been collecting rock in and around the Hornby Island area for a few years and has about 200lbs of it in his back yard. I have not seen it yet, but he says that it is porous and seems to be coral in nature. I am wondering if it will have the same characteristics as warm water rock in terms of calcium and buffering? Also, if it is calcified coral, will it break down quickly in the warmer water? Its free, so this could be a huge money saver if it will work. Thoughts and comments please.

Cheers,

Al

Reef_kid
09-22-2003, 05:16 AM
I have a cabin on hornby and visit there regularly the rock there is just a sandstone which is not a coral base (more of a sand base cement like rock)
hornby was formed by means of valcanic formation and may leech lot of chemicals into the water!! sandstone has a nice shapes though i would not say its porous! it is very heavy stuff. it will break down with wear of the water due to erosion.
you could try useing it as a base and putting liverock over it
i wouldnt better safe than sorry!

hope all gose well getting you tank up and going
try tufa rock you can get it relativly cheep!
cheers Dave