PDA

View Full Version : Plans for my first build

Kevotron
01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
I am starting my 40G Breeder project SPS dominated
This will be my first time im building things such as "overflow, sump, plumbing etc" by myself so i guess i am all new to this..
I want my overflow box as less space consuming as possible, I don't know what size hole to drill etc... only thing i know is my sump is 15G ... location/size of baffles has yet to be determined.
I was wonder if yall experienced reefers can help me in designing this :)

whatcaneyedo
01-15-2010, 12:25 AM
The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 by Delbeek and Sprung has an excellent chapter on plumbing a tank. I read it a year ago after already setting up several tanks and learned a lot.

Have you gone and seen many other plumbed systems in your area? That is a much easier way of learning how to do things than reading online posts as well...

Binare
01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
My best advice I can offer has to do with flow. Don't try and get all your flow from your return pump. Size your return pump and overflow based on your sump and the filtration method within it. for example: if you plan on having a skimmer, and that skimmer only processes about 100gph of water, you should feed your sump that volume or slightly under. No point in having dirty water bypass your skimmer and get pumped right back into the display, same for reactors, they don't need 1200gph, same theory... Why let water bypass your reactors? If your gonna grow some macro for nutrient export, contact time is also important here... The amount of macro in a 15G will not process 500G of water in an hour. around 80-150GPH is what I'd aim for through a sump that size. High flow rates can also wreck surface tension inside the display, which is what ultimately the deciding factor in how well your sump (as a filter) performs. Your goal is to skim the thinnest layer of water off the top with JUST enough flow to break surface tension at the overflow box. The wider the overflow, the more flow will be required to break that tension. Use power heads inside your tank to make up your flow. Powerheads draw a lot less power then pressure pumps so you'll see a cost savings there. I also like to turn off my return pump when feeding and still have flow in the tank, sizing your return for the sump and its equipment and then sizing your display pumps for the flow you require gives the best bang for your buck, the most options, and also makes the best use of your equipment. if it was my tank, I'd drill a bottom corner for 2X3/4 drains(herbie) and drill the opposite corner in the back near the top for a 1/2 return. I'd extend the drains to within 6" of the top of the overflow and use that wasted space typically found inside an overflow for a dsb, its a perfect spot for it.