PDA

View Full Version : How long for LR/Corals out of water?

banditpowdercoat
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I need to move my tank to remove the carpet from under it, and do some plumbing changes in the back. I was planing on moving some fish, the Tangs and easy caught ones to my 45g, then draining 2/3-3/4 water and sump so tank can be moved... Will still be heavy. 150g on stand! But, I was hoping to leave the LR and all in there. But it will be uncovered. How long do I have? before things go bad? Shouldn't be long for the plumbing fixes, but if I don't have to disturb the LR, thats soo much better. Mostly, Mushrooms and Polyps will be uncovered along with the rock

whatcaneyedo
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
The coral will be absolutely fine out of water for much longer than the live rock. Several authors have talked about the ability to ship many coral moist without water because they secrete a mucus layer meant to keep them alive during low tides. My concern for the rock is that you could have a lot of sponge growth on it that will not fare well out of water for very long. When its returned to the water, brisk water movement and good skimming will be necessary to remove the slime that the coral shed so that it doesnt pollute the system. Mushrooms and polyps are especially tough... they're the stuff that commonly survives on liverock to hitch hike its way into our tanks. Conservatively I'd estimate over an hour for the coral.

That sounds extremely heavy by the way. Upwards of around 400 lbs? I think you'd be better off taking lots of pictures and pulling everything out to put into garbage cans or rubbermaid tubs. Or take this opportunity to re-aquascape as well if you're not happy about the way everything is laid out.

banditpowdercoat
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Probibally pushing 500Lbs, but nothing beer can't get moved, ie friends. Only have to slide it 2 ft out from wall, then back again.

Thx for confirming what I thought.
The coral will be absolutely fine out of water for much longer than the live rock. Several authors have talked about the ability to ship many coral moist without water because they secrete a mucus layer meant to keep them alive during low tides. My concern for the rock is that you could have a lot of sponge growth on it that will not fare well out of water for very long. When its returned to the water, brisk water movement and good skimming will be necessary to remove the slime that the coral shed so that it doesnt pollute the system. Mushrooms and polyps are especially tough... they're the stuff that commonly survives on liverock to hitch hike its way into our tanks. Conservatively I'd estimate over an hour for the coral.

That sounds extremely heavy by the way. Upwards of around 400 lbs? I think you'd be better off taking lots of pictures and pulling everything out to put into garbage cans or rubbermaid tubs. Or take this opportunity to re-aquascape as well if you're not happy about the way everything is laid out.

H2o2
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe rig up some spray bars to keep rock and sponges wet but not streams maybe cut slots in pvc hooked to maxi jets recirc.water thats left in tank??

bvlester
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Why not rig a power head up to a spray bar that should save the LR I believe as already stated the coral should be ok. Most corals are very hardy and will with stand a lot just look at it this way if they can withstand being cut up and droped and stuff. Corals release a thick coat od slim on them selves to protect them selves from drying out when out of water. As I stated if you have a power head with a spray bar then there is no worries. use a 1/2 inch PVC tub with a cap on one end and a piece of hose and a adapter it should spray water on the corals and live rock the smaller the holes you make the more distance yu get from the spray point some downa and some out ward make a wavy partern out of the holes best coverage.
Bill

Seems I type slow 2 post since I started this post.

soapy
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
FYI: Here is an article that talks about shipping corals without water.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/9/short/view?searchterm=flying

Chase31
01-14-2010, 07:33 PM
thats a great read

hillegom
01-15-2010, 01:42 AM
thats a great read

Agreed
Thanks for sharing soapy