PDA

View Full Version : .

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 03:42 AM

reef_to_reef
01-14-2010, 03:53 AM
I had the same thing happen with me, I though one was going to die ! I was ready to take one out and give it to a friend. It took them about 1 month of fighting and messing around but now they live together in there anemone with no problems. I would just give it some time as they are trying to figure everything out, just keep an eye on them :)

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 03:59 AM

Ron99
01-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Are they similar in size? When I added a second clown the new one was smaller then the established one and they buddied up pretty much within minutes. I think it is always best that the second one be smaller then the first which helps to establish dominance very quickly.

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 04:11 AM

bvlester
01-14-2010, 04:40 AM
yup they are figuring out which one is going to turn into the femal of the pare. femals dominate alot of the aquatic world both salt and fresh water. It will take sme time you may spot the odd scale missing from them while they are doing this. use alittle melifix in the water to help provent infections in there cuts. You don't have to dose as on bottle just half of the recomended dose you are useing it as a proventitive not a treatment.

Bill

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 05:38 AM

bvlester
01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
your skimmer may go a crazy that is normal, it will take the melifix out of the water as melifix is a plant extract it is a natural product. May not exist in the ocean but there are similar plant extracts taht are out in the ocean. give it a dose every 3 days till they stop fighting. the only othr alternitive is to interduce anouther clown that is much larger than the other 2 then peace should come forth prity quickly. The largest is always the dominate and the other 2 will fall in line they will then both stay smaller. but you would have to do it like right now before one starts growning and becoming dominate. They can be prity mean when I put my hand in my tank to clean the glass my female vites and some times takes a little chunk out of my arm or the back of my hand. I just shoo her away after a while she understands to leave me alone. I think she is getting the idear as she now watches my hand when I feed her Nem and just kind of treads water out of the way.

Bill

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 07:25 AM

reef_to_reef
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I would definitely throw in a 3rd larger percula clown if the LFS had one but I bought the two largest ones they had. I'll pick up a bottle of melifix tomorrow. BTW, what kind of nem do you have? I have a torch, hammer, cynarina, star polyp and a toad stool mushroom but I don't know if they'll host with them???

I had mine host in my Torch,hammer and my very large clam ! once I got an anemone in there they went to that. I have a RBTA and a green with pink tip bubble tip.
Hope everything works out

Zoaelite
01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Although in the wild you will see breeding groups containing 0-4 non breeders, 1 smaller male and 1 Alpha female I would not suggest this configuration for a reef tank (Or atleast for anything 150g or less). Adding another clownfish will only cause you more problems, the 2 will work it out in time one becoming the female and one becoming the male. Melafix is nice but adding stuff that foams like that to my reef tank scares me for some reason. Adding garlic extract to your food (and letting it soak in) will help boost the immune system and you can keep your skimmer running.
Levi

bvlester
01-14-2010, 09:14 PM
My female hosts my green sadle carpet Nem and the little guy hosts a hammer coral only just before lights come on other wise he also sleeps with the carpet or is just inbehind the carpet Female will not let him any where else during the day. Clowns will host many things mushrooms, torches, frog spawn, hammers, open brains, and thelist goes on....

By getting a third larger clown I was just giving you anouther option or you could ask the LFS if they have a clown that is a bit smaller that you could trade or exchange one of the ones you have. That would end dominate thing also.

Bill

RIPTANK
01-14-2010, 10:47 PM