PDA

View Full Version : Photo editing

Samw
09-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Again, 1st shot was too blue (VHO Actinics fault). Anyone have suggestions on photo-editing techniques that can reduce the blue? In the 2nd shot, the sand was too washed out. I don't think even photo editing software can fix that if the original was washed out.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Coral/RedGorgonian/redgorgcloseup_std.jpg

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/ShowCase/softies.jpg

Jack
09-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I don't know photography so I can't help Sam. Either way your tank looks awesome. So much diversity and colour :eek: Awesome tank!

Jason McK
09-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Sam
In photoshop I was able to correct for the blue cast. How does this look
http://www.user.dccnet.com/jmckenzie/redgorgcloseup_std.jpg

As for the sand being washed out. depending on the camera you are using. If you have the ability to switch metering settings try switching to spot metering. Then meter off something in the tank that is halfway between the white of the sand and the dark of a cave. push the exposure button halfway down then recompose your shot and take the pic. This does not always work but thats what I do.

J

Chad
09-21-2003, 07:42 PM
You can also increase your shutter speed. Faster shot means less light. Though I do not know if your using a conventional camera or a digital?? But you can do the same with a digital.. just go manual and increase or decrease your Fstop (depending on the shot). You can do what is called "bracketing" by taking multiple shots at different fstops and then just choose the photo you like best. :biggrin:

Chad

Samw
09-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey Jackets. That looks great. That's exactly what I want. So what's the technique called in Photoshop? I don't have Photoshop and don't really plan to buy it but if I know the technique I might be able to find some cheaper software with that same function.

Maybe I'll have a better chance at photocontests if I can photoedit the pics. I got beat by some pretty uninteresting pics of colts and mushrooms. :razz: Winning shots were usually heavily photoshopped, some to the point that they look more like paintings than photos.

Samw
09-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Chad, I'm using the fast shutter option on my Powershot S40. I've got 4 lights turned on which brings out all the colors of the corals. The MH brings out the whites, the VHO brings out the blue/green, the 50/50 adds intensity and the halogen spot light brings out the yellow and adds lighting to areas in the shadows like where the sponges are.

The problem is that there is a lot of light contrast in the tank. The area below the branch rock is shaded while the sand area is fully exposed to light. So I think the reason why the sand turned up almost completely white has something to do with the camera letting more light in to get a good shot of the area under the branch rock. However, if it doesn't let in enough light, then the area under the tonga branch would be too dark.

Chad
09-21-2003, 07:48 PM
I worked this one in photoshop... turned out pretty nice..

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cmcd/FrogSpawn.jpg

Chad
09-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Chad, I'm using the fast shutter option on my Powershot S40. I've got 4 lights turned on which brings out all the colors of the corals. The MH brings out the whites, the VHO brings out the blue/green, the 50/50 adds intensity and the halogen spot light brings out the yellow and adds lighting to areas in the shadows like where the sponges are.

You can modify two things, shutter speed and appature.. Try playing with both.. increasing shutter speed and increasing the appature.. to like FS8 or maybe even 11 if the light is that intense or something like that..

Chad

Jason McK
09-21-2003, 08:12 PM
The relationship between shutter speed and f-stop is fixed. if you open your shutter, making the number smaller, you must speed up the shutter. Because there is only one proper exposure for the lighting of the scene. Now the larger the f-stop number (usually around f22) the greater the depth of field or the more stuff that is in focus. This is all true for normal film cameras or digital cameras.
Now the beauty of Digital cameras is that you can white balance the camera to a variety of different lighting and some have several custom settings. But the camera can only look at one light source at a time. so if the MH are illuminating the majority's of the scene but the Actinics are picking up the shadows the camera can not compensate.

So try to perform a custom white balance before you shoot the pic.

J

Quinn
09-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Adobe Photoshop Elements is a cheap alternative to Photoshop, with many of the same functions. It's geared towards the home market, so should have all the colour tweaking options you need (brightness, contrast, levels...).

kris
09-21-2003, 10:40 PM
hey sam. i sento you a PM.... i might be able to help.

Personaly i would stay away from PH elements. they left out alot of the main aspects that a pro photo editor uses. For the sand there are man was of dealing with that. a few is to slect the problem areas and treat those independintley of the actual photo. or to bring in another image and in a simple way of saying it, blend the two togeather to creat what you want. I can go more into the howto's if you want.

cheers

AJ_77
09-21-2003, 11:42 PM

Personaly i would stay away from PH elements. they left out alot of the main aspects that a pro photo editor uses. For the sand there are man was of dealing with that. a few is to slect the problem areas and treat those independintley of the actual photo. or to bring in another image and in a simple way of saying it, blend the two togeather to creat what you want. I can go more into the howto's if you want.

cheers
Hey Kris, don't keep all your expertise just for Sam! :biggrin: Share!
If I could beg: It would be great to read some of your advanced PS techniques, maybe they could be included on a sticky-post in the Pictures forum.

It's one thing to finally get the subject you've patiently been hunting, and another to get it to look how it should...

Samw
09-21-2003, 11:45 PM

Hi Kris. The only PM I got from you was about Sun Polyps. :) :) So, if there was suppose to be PS techiques, maybe post them as AJ suggested for everyone to see. Thanks.

StirCrazy
09-22-2003, 02:36 AM
hehe, Kris taught me all the photo massaging I know.. well except for a few tricks I got from a photoshop book.

Steve

kris
09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
ummm.. sam it must have got lost in cyber world ( or i for got to put a subject and closed the window... i think its the first.. i never make mistakes LMAO)

ha yeah photo shop is fun.. i might be willing to site down and write up a thing on foto treatment how to' maybey even give a class or something

let me think about it