PDA

View Full Version : what calcium reactor to buy

BlueTang<3
01-14-2010, 01:24 AM
tank is going to be about 300 gallons water volume heavy sps wondering what calcium reactor to buy thanks

Dez
01-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Wes, I'm really happy with my Deltec. Bob (the codfather) also runs a deltec and is really happy with it. Another option is the 2 part dosing with the dosing pump (but I've never used one before). Marine Aquaria has relatively inexpensive dosing pumps and starter kits for 2 part dosing.

I don't know if you're a DIY kinda guy, but I've made quite a few reactors as well. It's pretty simple to make and it doesn't have to look pretty.

Hope this helps.

BlueTang<3
01-14-2010, 02:52 AM
me and bob are good buddies i was looking t one of those but talked to lando and he said stay away so i am unsure as for 2 part i think a reactor is easier

Dez
01-14-2010, 03:18 AM
me and bob are good buddies i was looking t one of those but talked to lando and he said stay away so i am unsure as for 2 part i think a reactor is easier

The reason Lando says stay away is cause the valve on that reactor tends to leak. He wouldn't trust it outside a sump. I have mine in the sump, and Bob has his outside the sump. My valve to control the flow is factory and it used to drip, now it's just salt creep. It doesn't bother me because I know that I can replace the valve anytime.

whatcaneyedo
01-14-2010, 04:00 AM
My total system volume is about 270gal and I'm using an old down-flow style Precision Marine 622 and it keeps up. Although its easy to do mods on a reactor a pH probe holder in the top is a great feature as is an effluent chamber. Up-flow is also a lot better than down-flow but you probably already knew that.