PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to marine

eschimpf
01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Okay first off a little intro.

My name is Erin, I'm a mother of 2 (soon to be 3). I have two freshwater tanks, one is a planted white cloud tank and the other is a goldfish tank.

I have two 10g sitting around doing nothing. And with baby due July 10th I thought, I should do something different. So I thought, why not make a nano? A 10 g with a 10g sump.

I've been doing lots of reading and have been lurking on the site for oh about 24 hours. I talked with my hubby and hes ok with the idea, well wasn't at first but after some "but its for the baby" talk he agreed.

I've got my sump idea and how I'm going to go about that. I still need a pump, but I have to wait as my hubby goes to school for two months every year at NAIT (edmonton). He'll be done at the end of Feb and back at work. That'll leave me a few months to get this going before the baby comes.

I'm still reading up on things that I need to know, like how to feed corals and what not. I plan just to have a few cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab or two, nothing fancy.

I do have some questions. For my sump and tank idea what kind of pump would I need? I'm going to be pricing out live rock tonight. That wat I'll have some idea on what I'm looking at for LR price.

Anyway hi! and thanks for any advice as I'm a total NOOB at all this.

Jessie55
01-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Just my 2 cents but why don't you grab a 20 gal it would be a bit easier to take care of. More water volume=more forgiving also you can add a fair bit more equipment without taking to much room up in the tank. You could instead use the 2 10gals together as a sump/refuge and hide them in a stand.
The 20 gal will give you more stocking options as well cause lets face it this hobby is addicting once you get started your only going to want more.

eschimpf
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm trying to save on the cost and I don't have an empty 20g around. But I totally understand what your saying.:smile:

Jessie55
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
You can usually find someone on here that is getting rid of one for cheap sometimes free just got to keep an eye out for it. Also kijiji sometimes too.

eschimpf
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
You can usually find someone on here that is getting rid of one for cheap sometimes free just got to keep an eye out for it. Also kijiji sometimes too.

I am I've got a month and a half before I start it.

rjengen
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
"but its for the baby"

I'm going to have to try that one on my wife...when we had our son I took up learning how to fly to "Stay out of trouble" :lol: I'm sure I could convince her a 300g would be great for our next kid.

Oh Welcome to Canreef...stalking this place is fun isn't it!

Chase31
01-13-2010, 09:45 PM
well first off welcome
and for your pump, how are you getting water from the display to the sump? if your going to get an overflow check the rating for GPH make sure your pump is under that, never exceed your overflow, just make sure your pump is rated for under the amount of flow into the skimmer

don't know if any of that made sence kinda looks like a wall of gibberish to me but i tryed :p

eschimpf
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
LOL well it doesn't help that we where toying with the idea last year about setting up a nano saltwater. Now I have the "well its for the baby" line. ;)

Stalking is alot of fun, and there is so much information to eat up.

Question,
I've been think, how do corals eat? I know silly question but I'm guessing its something to do with whats in the water? everyone talks about calcium and other things so I'm taking a stab here but is that what they eat?

I told you I was a noob lol. When it comes to freshwater I know alot but this is just so different! I'm hoping to start check out some shops tonight but I think I'll have to do some begging on my part. I don't drive so my hubby has to drive and well he might like this store because I've never taken him there but for the most part he hates shopping even if I'm not buying anything. must be a guy thing ;)

eschimpf
01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
well first off welcome
and for your pump, how are you getting water from the display to the sump? if your going to get an overflow check the rating for GPH make sure your pump is under that, never exceed your overflow, just make sure your pump is rated for under the amount of flow into the skimmer

don't know if any of that made sence kinda looks like a wall of gibberish to me but i tryed :p

I think so... What your saying is, if I plan on doing a overflow make sure the GPH is under the set amount of water in my sump. Or am I way out in left field.

Chase31
01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
not quite lets say you go buy and overflow or drill the tank and get one rated at 100 Gallons per hour, in this case your pump must be under 100 GPH thats accounting head pressure, when you get the pump it will be rated for 200 GPH at 0' head pressure and at 4' 150 and 100 at 6' (or something like that, the pump will have a chart) so your pump has to be under 100GPH or your tank will overflow (bad :p ) so make sure they match up, as your overflow should always be more then your pump

Chase31
01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
calcium is what corals use to build there skeleton structure not sure about how they eat, pretty sure you still feed them, more of absorption though (dont take my word)
dont have my tank set up yet getting it going if you look at my tank journal but i understand some of it

mark
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
hope you've come across the Nano contests (one here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52319&highlight=nano+contest)) and there's been a couple of others, if haven't, just type in nano contest in the search. Lot's of ideas.

Bloodasp
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Most corals have a symbiotic algae living in their cells that provide them food. You don't necessarily have to feed them but they do get a lot of benefit from being given something from time to time. That's the reason why lighting is such an important element in a reef aquarium.
An overflow is a part of your system where water from your main tank gets transferred to your sump.
Anyway I don't know what I said either I was just typing what is popped into my head at this very moment reading this thread.

eschimpf
01-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks all! I went to Aquarium Illusions Inc today, was very happy with how helpful the staff was, also I think the owner gave my little ones candy. I had alot of questions answer. My poor hubby was so bored. But I learned a little on what pump I would need and about how soft corals eat... and the baby hermit crabs are SOOOO cute!!!

A little update:
I've PMed a member on Albertaaquatica about a 30 gallon tank. His price is good. If I get it then its a head or tails as to if I use it for the nano or if my goldfish babies get it and I use their 20 gallon. Yes my 4 goldfish are my babies, them and my 5 guinea pigs LOL.

eschimpf
01-14-2010, 02:54 AM
hope you've come across the Nano contests (one here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52319&highlight=nano+contest)) and there's been a couple of others, if haven't, just type in nano contest in the search. Lot's of ideas.

Yes I have alot of very interesting tanks.

Chase31
01-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Yes my 4 goldfish are my babies, them and my 5 guinea pigs LOL.

your a pet freak :p just like me, freshwater tank, salt tank, cat, dog, dad.

eschimpf
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
your a pet freak :p just like me, freshwater tank, salt tank, cat, dog, dad.

LOL thats nothing! I have my goldfish, my planted white cloud tank, My guinea pigs, my dog and my African Soft Furred Rat. I swear if it wasn't for the fact that we rent I would probably have ALOT more. When we buy a house in a few years we are looking at a 5 bedroom so my piggies have thier own room LOL.

Chase31
01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
wow!

eschimpf
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
wow!

LOL yes thats one way to put it. My husband is a very sweet man to put up with all of my pet luvs. I love to cuddle on the sofa with my piggies, and he has to sit on another sofa or the chair... poor guy!

Still haven't heard anything on the 30Gallon yet.. but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. I hope to know in the next 48 hours.

eschimpf
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
My husband is a commerial Electirian, and after looking at lights for my tank he has said and I quote, "screw that! I can build you a light for alot less then that"

So for Zaos and Mushrooms (which at this time is all I plan on getting for now), I should Need 1 10,000K daylight and a blue coral light right?