PDA

View Full Version : Fry Photos of Hippocampus Redi

Seamazter
01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Thought I would show pictures of 1 day old baby Hippocampus Redi.
I will try to take photos each day as they are fed phytoplankton and rotifers to about day 14. Current count is 64.

I was at bigals here in calgary today looking at the seahorses and low and behold one fellow let his hatch go and the tank was flooded with fry.
Ryan siphoned them out for me nice and careful like and they are now in a beer pitcher with a black plastic bag around the side and overhead light with riged airline bubbilng ever so slowly.

Guess if your looking for seahorses these are laying in a fish store tank might wanna pick a couple up from here before they are gone for good.

See you all tommrow with a new count and photos.
http://www.homegrownreef.com/fry/day1.jpg

lobsterboy
01-13-2010, 07:24 AM
thats awesome man, hope they make it,

rayjay
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
The seahorse fry don't eat phyto. You put phyto in to keep the rotifers fed and to process ammonia produced by the fry wastes and rotifer wastes.
I also use Cloram-X in the water as an insurance. Ammonia in very minute amounts is VERY deadly to the fry.
You don't want "ever so slowly" bubbles, you need to make the water turbulent enough so that they cannot swim where they want, which is many times to the water surface where they ingest air and eventually perish.
They will have no problem feeding on the rotifers in this turbulance if your feed density of the rotifers is sufficient. It makes for heavy use of phyto and rotifers though as I do complete water changes every two days with new rotifer food and phyto.
The fry I got from Ryan here in London on Feb. 9 2009, are now over 11 months old and I've been selling them off for a while now.
Good luck!!

Triggz
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Glad to see you got them home ok Gary. Here are a couple more day 1 fry pics. I gave this batch to Ray about a year ago.
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Triggz86/oct2008-feb2009603.jpg
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Triggz86/IMG_2916.jpg

And Ray, I tried to take some more pics of those hybrids with my phone, but they didn't really turn out. I will get some better ones today.

sharuq1
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Saw these in person yesterday and OMG are they ever cute! He's got their bellies all full of rotis and they are looking good. Keep us updated!

The Grizz
01-14-2010, 09:11 PM
I am setting up a tank just for seahorse's so you guys get them good & healthy so you can sell me some cheep, lol.
I will be watching.

rayjay
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't sell mine cheap.
It's a lot of work growing phyto, rots, and continual cleaning of the nursery containers over the time it takes to grow them out. Also, as they grow, they eat you out of house and home.
In addition to the time spent, I spend over a $100 a month on frozen foods for what I have here. It would be a lot more if I hadn't been selling them off for the last two months.

Triggz
01-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Any updates Gary?

Seamazter
01-17-2010, 01:13 AM
They are still alive.
Want them? They are alot of work.

Triggz
01-17-2010, 01:46 AM
They are still alive.
Want them? They are alot of work.

:lol:

They are a ton of work! I don't think I have the time to raise a batch right now. I plan to give it another go in the future but I want to be completely prepared for them. At least you have a steady supply of phyto + rots. That's half the battle! Do you do brine shrimp too?

pelle31
01-17-2010, 02:32 AM
If I was closer to Calgary I'd take them off your hands. I use to raise/breed Discus and they were a ton of work as well.

Seamazter
01-17-2010, 02:46 AM
I think zoaelite may take them.

pelle31
01-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Go Levi Go!!! Let me know when they are ready for sale and I'll buy some.

rayjay
01-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Geez, if only I lived in Calgary.

Seamazter
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
They have gone to a freind, i did however sell a big bottle of phyto and rotifers to him, so im not at a total loss.
I already miss them, and from a pm from someone that knows thier stuff, (ryan).
Im assured that the suppler of those orignal seahorses actully take very good care of them, so the babys are hearty.

Not to float my own boat, or try to get some free advertizing but isnt this the greenest live phyto ever?
http://www.homegrownreef.com/phyto.jpg