PDA

View Full Version : Syringes

Nullig
09-21-2003, 05:38 PM
I have a couple of Aiptasia, which I would like to kill off with a concentrated kalk mixture, using a syringe. I went to a drug store to try to get one, and they would not sell it without a prescription for insulin.

Does anyone know where you can buy them in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Aquattro
09-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I get them at any retail medical supply store.

Jason McK
09-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I got mine at London Drugs. I just told them what I needed it for and it was no problem.

J

Dale D
09-22-2003, 06:58 AM
I've gotten them from Safeway before.

In the past I've had problems with the grit in the kalk solution plugging up the needle. So lately I have been going to the opposite end of the the PH scale and injecting aiptasia with vinegar instead. So far it has worked more effectively for me than Kalk.

Disclaimer: :smile: Since it is an acid you want to watch how much you use at one time and make sure your alk is good. So far I have only used this method in larger 130+ gallon tanks. YMMV.

Nullig
09-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try that, if I can get a syringe.

kuatto
09-22-2003, 06:14 PM
when i use to keep large numbers of reptiles,i use to give shots myself,so i got syringes from a vet medical supply(they carry every thing,including hypo needles)should be listed under vet supplies in the yellowpages

Jim

Megalodon
09-23-2003, 11:51 AM
What with the age of "Safe Injection Sites" you'd think they'd lighten up the rules regarding syringes and prescriptions.

sumpfinfishe
10-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Sure Brad!

Didn't you mean to say you got them at the needle exchange centre on hastings st. :razz: :razz: :razz: :mrgreen:

2klude
01-02-2004, 04:21 AM
wow thats weird that they wouldnt sell them to u. i usually get mine from pharmasave. i just went up to the counter told them what size i wanted and he handed them over. i didnt have to explain what they where used for.

-CaLvIn-
01-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Hey all - I'm a newb here. Glad to find a local forum like this by complete fluke.

Re: syringes, I got a pair of nice small ones while my wife was giving birth last year LOL!
The nurse gave me the most perplexed look as I began explaining why I wanted them. I honestly think she believed me by the time I was done, because she gave them to me, But the look on her face was absoloutely priceless!

I had a nasty aptasia problem. I got around to injecting only one or two of the larger ones with hot Kalk. I had bought a Peppermint shrimp from Big Al's a week beforehand in the blind hope that the rumours about them Vs. Aptasia were true.
And sure enough, I noticed that very few of the aptasia were staying out for very long. And eventually I had to search really hard to find any venturing out.

The Peppermint Shimp eventually got really aggresive as he became more confortable in his new home. So, thank god he died after about 4 months. I blame him for the death of my Blue Tridacna. He kept annoying it.
But now a year later, I don't have a single Aptasia in the tank.
That alone was worth what I paid for him, which wasn't a whole lot.

I hope to learn more from and share with you all in the coming future.
thanks

LostMind
01-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Welcome to Canreef!

The length a reefer will go to for his tank!