PDA

View Full Version : skimmer crapped out what might happen?

chris88
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM
My skimmer just crapped out and i am worried my tank might take a turn for the worse. I just sent it to virginia to be replaced and i am guessing it is going to take atleast a month. is there a chance the tank could go down hill. Its heavily stocked with sps and lps and slightly overloaded with fish. any thoughts?

christyf5
01-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Water changes are going to be your only method of nutrient export if you don't have a spare skimmer. Likely you'll need to do them weekly or more frequently if you notice any problems.

Lance
01-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Yup, like Christy says, lots of water changes, and cut back on the feeding somewhat. Can you borrow a skimmer from a friend or the LFS? How big is your tank and bio-load?

H2o2
01-13-2010, 02:26 AM
what type?on your inlet just jerry rig a maxijet to push water into it and with a couple of wood air stones and some tubing put them down the center of the skimmer hook them to an air pump and your good to go till you get your parts but all so water changes and ease put on the feeding. imo it cant hurt.

chris88
01-13-2010, 02:47 AM
my reef is a 50g with a 20g sump. The skimmer wasn't heavy duty to begin with it is a marineland in sump skimmer but it worked great. i do bi-weekly 20% water changes normally and i have also had great paramters and no alage growth. I may have to pick up another skimmer for now and sell the replacement when it comes in.

Lance
01-13-2010, 03:00 AM
my reef is a 50g with a 20g sump. The skimmer wasn't heavy duty to begin with it is a marineland in sump skimmer but it worked great. i do bi-weekly 20% water changes normally and i have also had great paramters and no alage growth. I may have to pick up another skimmer for now and sell the replacement when it comes in.

Depending on your bio-load, you should be alright for awhile with that size tank. I ran a 90g reef for 2 months with no skimmer. Keep a close eye on the water parameters and as mentioned above, cut back some on the feeding.

Eyford01
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
might be a good idea to look into some chaeto as well, i'm running a 55g and29g sump full of chaeto no skimmer, 15g water changes every 7-10 days as my schedule permits, or if you really want a skimmer maybe look into some DIY plans for a fun project

chris88
01-14-2010, 02:32 AM
I just purchased a PS-300p skimmer online and it should be here in a few days. By the time i get my other skimmer returned things might make a turn for the worse. this skimmer was 200.00 shipped express to me. I know its not the best but it is rated for a 300g and i only have 50g of total water. I am hoping it will do a great job until my other skimmer returns. If i am happy with it i may just keep it and sell my other skimmer when it arrives.