PDA

View Full Version : Clam's puking

Buzz
01-13-2010, 01:37 AM
As the title says my Maxima clam just puked out a bunch of white stuff now my tanks all cloudy. Any idea what it's doing? Never had a problem before had him about 2 years now. Everything tests good.

Buzz
01-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Now the other one is doing it.

dsaundry
01-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Probably a bowel movement, so to speak.....or not sure if this is correct, but spawning....Didn't see that you had two...

Lance
01-13-2010, 01:41 AM
It's spawning. It might be a good time for a water change as the excess nutrients in the water column my cause you some problems.

Buzz
01-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Does this happen often I've never seen it before.

Dez
01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
It is known to happen in home aquariums - spawning that is. It is HIGHLY recommended to do big water changes as I have read a couple of articles on it wiping out tanks. It means they're healthy at least.

I'm no expert, but I just remember from past reading.

Lance
01-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Delphinus had a bad incident awhile back when all or most of his clams spawned and caused a nutrient overload. IMO a water change is in order.

Buzz
01-13-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm just getting ready to do one I was just getting some video of it.

dsaundry
01-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Delphinus had a bad incident awhile back when all or most of his clams spawned and caused a nutrient overload. IMO a water change is in order

+1:biggrin:

Buzz
01-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Can the sucessfully spawn in my aquarium (Baby Clams)??

Delphinus
01-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Does sound like a spawn. Rare but not unheard of. Never heard of any baby clams come out of one, alas. Change carbon, clean skimmer and a water change ASAP. Had it happen a couple times before w/p incident but last one I lost 4 fish. :(

Can the sucessfully spawn in my aquarium (Baby Clams)??

whatcaneyedo
01-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Clams are known to spawn when they become very stressed out or are about to die (of course they sometimes do it just for fun like the rest of us too). One clam spawning will then trigger others to follow. Aquaculture facilities will deliberately do this to breed new stock for growout and sale. I've never heard of a case where someone was able to successfully raise baby clams after spawning in a small closed system home aquarium either. Like the others have already said, do a big water change as those gametes will break down quickly and really pollute your tank.

Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree is a good book on the subject.