PDA

View Full Version : Help with picking a coral

ponokareefer
01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I've got a few spots in my tank where there is high light(5 inches from a 150MH, I know, not the highest), and is about 6 inches from a Koralia 3 powerhead. I've tried putting acans there, but they are showing signs of burning from the light. There is too much flow for frogspawns/torch's/hammer's, as the ones I have put there close up. It is on a slope, so I can't "glue" a clam there, or I would, as this seems like ideal conditions for them. I really want to avoid SPS due to the near perfect water quality required, and high demand on calcium. What other choices do I have?

ScubaSteve
01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't shy away from SPS completely as there are some easier species to keep. I just made the dip into those waters recently myself and really, it ain't that bad.

Believe it or not, a lot of soft corals are good at taking high light. Check out some of the Advanced Aquartist articles online for some of the species. I think the article is called "How much light?". I threw a xenia frag in to my super high high light spot (about 5-6" below 150W MH w/ 2x65W actinics) without acclimating from from it's previously shaded spot and it loved it! (and yes, I was trying to see what kid of abuse it would take). My green sinularia also loves that spot as well.

My suggestion... go with a clam. I know you said you can't but I think with a little creativity you could manage. There is almost no such thing as too much light for those things! (You can again find that info in the Advanced Aquarist articles).

ScubaSteve
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh, I guess I didn't really answer your question about corals. For my experience, these might work for you and be easy to keep:

- Montipora cap. (and since you say it's on a slope, it'd look pretty cool)
- Montipora danae (rainbow or superman monti)
- Sinularia
- Turbinaria
- Zoas
- Star Polyps
- Pretty much any other intertidal or shallow water species