PDA

View Full Version : Moving Tank

Douglas
01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm moving my 72gal reef in a week. It's going from a carpeted concrete basement floor, to a laminate flooring. The tank sits on a square steel tubing stand. I'm looking for someone with knowledge of wood flooring. Will the wood flooring take the weight, of the tank/stand and sump? Will the tank weight damage it over time? Should I have something under the whole tank, to even out the weight, as to not damage the flooring? Any advice would be helpful. Or any past history in having a tank on this type of flooring. Thanks.

penelty
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
well i am a floor layer and only things I can think of is that any water spillage or drips will work their way into the floor and ruin it slowly. so maybe think about putting some kinda mat around the tank area? another thing is the laminate floor expands back and forth as it changes temp so if there is alot of heavy pressure points pinning it down it might not move properly and could cause distortions. only thing I can think of to combat that is to put your stand on a sheet of wood cut to size with a foam mat underneith it to keep your floor from damaged by the underwood. that would help even out the load on the laminate.
hope this helps

Carmen
01-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Can't help you with the flooring but just wanted to say Good Luck! It will go great!:wink:

plutoniumJoe
01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
My tank caused damage to my wood floor. Drips from the tank work their way between the wood and cause a black discoloration.

ReefJunkie
01-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I have my tank on laminate floor. What I did was use a tlie sealer and painted the seams with it a couple feet all around the tank. Also it is a floating floor so it is slightly buckled in front of the tank because it cant move in this area but it is only noticeable to me and is very minimal. Even with the tile sealer I still lay towels around if I'm doing any maintainence.

blueyota
01-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Good Luck with the move !!!!!im sure your move will be quicker then mine...lol