PDA

View Full Version : Seaclone Skimmer

Chad
09-20-2003, 11:46 PM
OK,

I got a Seaclone skimmer w/ MaxiJet 1200 and a custom made turbo venturi... I got it so it produces little bubbles and just enough flow so there are no bubbles entering the system. (I adjust the air via a needle valve). Problem is.. I get zero skimmate.. It bubbles up in a fine mist and just pops.. nothing else.. completely white... Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Chad

Jack
09-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, for starters, it's a Sea clone that's why :wink:

But skimmers have a break-in period where they get a slime coat ect.. then it should start skimming. Break in periods differ so I can't say forsure.

martym
09-20-2003, 11:54 PM
I also have a seaclone. It took a couple of days before it started to work ( I use that term loosly :smile: ) I only get about a 1/4" of scum every 2-3 days. I would like to modify it some how to work better.

Pete
09-21-2003, 01:16 AM
i also use the seaclone you really need to find the right amount of air entering .
i took the tube in the middle skimmer completly out and it is working alot better. you may want to try that.

Chad
09-21-2003, 03:24 AM
It has all the modifications that have been suggested on ReefCentral. I understand, hey its a seaclone.. its on a 20gal so I don't want it that efficient.. just enough to get some baddies gunk out while I fight some cyno... It has been running for over a day.. just wondering if its ever gonna make foam.. :lol:

Chad

sumpfinfishe
09-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey Chad,
Sorry to hear that you purchased a Sea "Clunker". That's ok though-we all make mistakes. I bought one when I was in my first year, and it was also dismanteled by the end of that same year. I to also made every mod upgrade with not much success. :frown:

For smaller reefs such as ours, there are a few really good skimmers out there that will do the job. IMO if I were you I would think about selling or trading in the Sea Clone. Then you could go with either a Remora, Bakpak, or a Prizm. I have been using the Prizm model now for just over 2 years and I am happy with it's performance most of the time.

Like Jack mentioned, all skimmers have a break-in period. Some can run great after a few hours and others sometimes need a few days before they will even show a sign of working. My roomates Berlin will draw out waste after about an hour or two after cleaning, where as mine takes up to a full day before it starts to collect build-up just in the risser area of the unit.

Be patient with any skimmer IMO, as they all seem to have there faults.
Also be aware that if you have a smaller tank, and are keeping up with monthly water changes then your skimmer will not likely be able to draw out too much waste from a clean water column. My skimmer basically runs in sleep mode for the first to weeks of the month until a slow accumalation of waste can start to be collected in the last two weeks.

Goodluck!
cheers, Rich

MalHavoc
09-21-2003, 12:12 PM
It has all the modifications that have been suggested on ReefCentral. I understand, hey its a seaclone.. its on a 20gal so I don't want it that efficient.. just enough to get some baddies gunk out while I fight some cyno... It has been running for over a day.. just wondering if its ever gonna make foam.. :lol:

Chad

Personally, I'd argue that you'd need a better skimmer on a smaller tank, because there is less water volume. Any skimmer can pull at least some gunk out of a large tank because there is so much water volume to process. Smaller tanks need skimmers that can more aggressively scrub the smaller amount of water which may flow through them.

Having said that, all new skimmers need a break in period. There are plastic agents on the skimmer's parts which can prevent them from being able to create a stable foam, at least for a few days to a week. Give it some time and see how it goes.

StirCrazy
09-21-2003, 03:13 PM
I think you all are basshing a skimmer which preforms pourly because the people who used them have unrealistic hopes for them. On a 20 gal or smaller a normal sea clone will do good once it is set up right. the problem came from the raiting on the box, up to 80 gal. I ran a sea clone for a test on my tank and was impressed by its attempt to keep up. It pulled about 1/4 the amount of skimmate as my becket did.

if you look at a prisim it is the same, but a prisim won't handle a 80 gal either. I am not sure how they come up with raitings and such but if you basicly cut the raiting by 2/3rds you will have a safe estimat of the real capacity.

Another problem with skimmers on small tanks is that people tend to over stock smaller tanks by a large amount. This alone will max out the skimmer preformance well befor the max advertised capability is reached.

Steve

Chad
09-21-2003, 03:58 PM
I do a weekly water change.... The skimmer is not brand new.. Its actualy a used one purchased off of AJ77 :biggrin: If I can get it to pull some skimmate I will be happy. Maybe the tank is good and clean already but since I have alot of cyno I figured I may have a large quantity of DOC that my weekly water changes are not keeping up with.

This cyno is very frustrating :biggrin: I keep on turkey basting the rocks and corals to keep it clear. But within a day its back. :evil:

I've read that using a slower PH like a Maxijet 600 or 900 would work better on this skimmer than the 1200 :question: Any thoughts?

thanks

Chad

Chad
09-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Personally, I'd argue that you'd need a better skimmer on a smaller tank, because there is less water volume. Any skimmer can pull at least some gunk out of a large tank because there is so much water volume to process. Smaller tanks need skimmers that can more aggressively scrub the smaller amount of water which may flow through them.

My thought in having a less efficient skimmer is that with a smaller tank you tend to do more frequent water changes. If I had an aggressive skimmer then everything (including the good stuff) would be out of the water coloum before I ever had a chance to do my water change. Maybe I am way off base on this :question:

Chad

sumpfinfishe
09-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Chad,
How long has that Sea Clone been setup, new skimmers and old skimmers alike need a break-in period weather there just being setup for the first time or if they have just been cleaned. As I mentioned above, if your keeping your water column clean-which it definetly sounds like it with weekly changes, then I would say that it would be hard for any skimmer to clean the water. If I did a 15-20% w/c on my reef every week, then I am pretty sure that I wouldn't need to skim at all-even with a fully stocked tank.

Steve,
I have to disagree with you on this one. Everything I have ever read or experienced with this skimmer has been garbage! :exclaim: After having all the mods and setup right, the thing still only collect about a 1/4inch of skimate in a week. After removing the skimmer I went back to an old ancient Saunders bare bones model that I bought for $5 bucks at a garage sale. That sucker out performed the Sea Clone big time! :exclaim: The Saunders would pull out about half a cup a week-that's 75% more waste removal :biggrin:
I would never use a Sea Clone or a Prizm on an 80gl unless it was a Prizm Pro as these skimmers actually work on bigger tanks, as I have seen four up and running on different setups performing beautifully. As for a regular Prizm, Bakpak, or a Remora, they will out perform a Sea Clone hands down-I have seen this happen more times than I can count on smaller tanks over the last 6 years. Why pay and go through all the head aches of trying to make a piece of junk work alittle, when you can run a model that cost about $50 more that simply plugs in and plays right away! :mrgreen:

cheers, Rich

Jack
09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't know much about smaller tanks but maybe even if you had a efficent skimmer on the same tank it might only take out the same ammount of skimmate.. or near it. How much sludge can you even take out of a 20 gal tank? Is 1/4 of a cup that bad? I'm just asking.. I've never had a salt tank under 100 gal. I use to use a knop-hang on skimmer on an old FO 115 gal and it wasn't the best skimmer but with an airstone and venturi mod it worked quite well. Make the best out of what you've got.

IMO, I wouldnt spend the cash on a fancy skimmer for a 20 gal. But if you are having cyno maybe an upgrade is in order?

I've seen seaclones and a lot of how to get them working right is just finding the right settings and tweaking it. I have also seen people add limewood airstones to boost the bubble produciton.

I'm just sitting on the fence on this one :redface: :lol:

Aquattro
09-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I don't think it's still running, but Titus had a 20g tank running a Canreef skimmer. I understand it took out a ton of crap, so yes, a 20g can produce lots of skimmate. Maybe Titus can add some info....

Chad
09-21-2003, 07:08 PM
I don't think it's still running, but Titus had a 20g tank running a Canreef skimmer. I understand it took out a ton of crap, so yes, a 20g can produce lots of skimmate. Maybe Titus can add some info....

Isn't the canreef skimmer a "in-line" skimmer? unfortunatly I don't think that would work on my current setup.. I was planning on a sump design but now that I got a 100gal.. I am holding out.. I'll do it when I get that puppy going.

Until then.. the 20gal is my main deal.. Actualy as of this moment it is producing some skimmate.. its just barely coming over the edge into the cup.. on occassion :biggrin: but so far as I can tell it is a very light green.

Chad

Jack
09-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok, good to know Brad. I wasn't sure how much a 20g could produce.

Um Titus had the equipment to run a large tank but on a 20 gal, didn't he? :lol: