PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical advice

trilinearmipmap
09-20-2003, 09:34 PM
I am gutting an old mini-fridge to use as an incubator so I want to install a light bulb of low wattage for the heat source.

On a 3-pronged grounded cord, if the ground is facing up, which side will be neutral and which side will be hot, left or right?

Just want to check so I don't zap myself.

StirCrazy
09-20-2003, 11:38 PM
is there a white and black wire? white is commen and black is hot. also if the plug has one spade bigger than the other the larger one is commen (white) and the smaller one is hot (black) at least that is the way my new house is wired :mrgreen:

Steve

trilinearmipmap
09-21-2003, 02:44 AM
Thanks.

There is no white and black wire. The grounded appliance cord has 2 brown wires, one being hot and one being neutral. It also has a green ground wire which is attached to the metal appliance housing.

So I am trying to figure out from the alignment of the three-wired plug, which wire is hot and which is neutral.

mpleleaf
09-21-2003, 03:13 AM
I believe there is a prong smaller than the other and that is normally the live !

StirCrazy
09-21-2003, 03:15 AM
Thanks.

There is no white and black wire. The grounded appliance cord has 2 brown wires, one being hot and one being neutral. It also has a green ground wire which is attached to the metal appliance housing.

So I am trying to figure out from the alignment of the three-wired plug, which wire is hot and which is neutral.

ok you have one round one (the ground) and two flat ones. is one flat on taller than the other? if so that is the commen or as you call it the nutral wire.

Steve