PDA

View Full Version : First Saltwater Tank

darb
01-11-2010, 04:44 AM
I have finally decided to go all in and give saltwater a try.

I don`t have a tank yet, but am going to go FOWLR in the 30 to 40 gallon range with a sump.

Question, which is a good protein skimmer to get for that size of tank? One that will work like a dream and never cause me grief.

mark
01-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Welcome to Canreef.

I don't have one, but might want to check into the Bubble Magus line of skimmers

Skimmerking
01-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Hey WELCOME TO CANREEF.

First what are you looking to do with the tank?
REEF or Fish only ya IM NOT GOING REEF YA OH ROLMAO WAIT FOR IT sorry man heard that before...
IMO I think a tank that small can get away from a Skimmer. Reason you ask very good I will try to explain.
A skimmer is a piece of equipment that helps in the aid of slowing down water changes, it takes out the extra nutrients before it can start to cause the nasty breakdowwn of the start of pollutants.
if people take the time to set it up the right right a tank under 50 gals can and doesn't need a skimmer. GOOD OLD FASHION WATER Changes can do that alot to the tank. that is my 2 cents.

darb
01-11-2010, 06:10 AM
my plan is to go FOWLR.

realistically I would see myself upgrading to a bigger FOWLR as opposed to going reef although that would be a good use for the tank when I upgrade.

but to be perfectly honest reef sounds like a lot of work and I am more macro orientated towards fish, so I dont foresee reef in my future.