PDA

View Full Version : Red turf algae question?

burtonpj48
01-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Hello everyone!, I am currently battling a case of red turf algae on my live rocks. I was wondering, if its possible to place the affected rocks and burry it in the sand.Will this help eliminate the red algae. My reasoning is, there is no light to help it grow. Im currently doing 20%water changes everyweek, also running a phosban reactor with rowaphos and carbon.

The other option i was thinking is, taking out the rocks and placing them in a rubber thrash can, with no lights, just a heater and wait a few months. See if it accomplishes something.

I tried to scrubb the rocks with a metal wire brush, but its not possible to get it off.

My third option is to torch out the turf algae, using one of those mini butane torches. I was wondering if this will work and be fine for the rocks.

Skimmerking
01-11-2010, 04:16 AM
hey man well red turf algae is something that alot of people have. I was battleing it for 2 yrs and the last 9 months that i was in Afghanistan I got rid of it from extensive use of phosban on the tank. and now its back I find that people who use MH and t-5's. its one of those things that some people don't get it and then there is some that do.. some people have never had any types of out breaks of algae and then some people get every type.

welcome to reefing

Reefer Rob
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
If the algae is only on a few rocks, take them out while you still can. Red turf algae is super hard to get rid of. Urchins will eat it, but the only way to eradicate it is to get the nutrients (phosphate mostly) in you tank extremely low.

gbeef
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
emerald crabs got rid of my problem. I didnt think hey ate the stuff but apprently they do!